Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kitten!

mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Kitten!

Hi all.
Thinking of introducing a new kitten to the house, my other cat (Pernod) has just turned 2.
Anyone ever introduced a new kitty to the house?
Is it easier to add male/female (Pernod is female)?
Any useful tips? (I.E its a disater, dont do it)
Smiley
51 REPLIES
Emma
Grafter

Re: Kitten!

We've introduced 3 kittens to our first cat, the first time we did it she was 1 year old and hated this new addition. Eventually she got used to him, but 4 months after getting kitten 1 we got kitten 2. The two kittens got on well, it was just big cat that hated them. We tried the catnip approach which worked quite well. But all you can do is leave them too it. Mine all eat together now, and some of them sleep in the same bed.
it takes time. My mum has 11 cats and they all get on really well. Good luck and put a picture up when you get him/her Smiley
scootie
Grafter

breed type can play a big part in how well they cope with this sittuation.
we use to have a ragdoll breed cat that was brought in to house with 2 dogs.
the ragdoll use to be bold as brass with my lab pawing at his mouth and even caught it on his back with his head in my labs mouth.
yet with the border collie whos the top dog out the two and has that no messing with me charcter (not aggresive just dosent stand for any messing about) the ragdoll would tip top pass him and at most would just dare to dive on his bushy tail and run off.
suppose what iam saying is the breed and charcter of the cats will dictate how quickly they all setttle in together if they have little fight's let it play out as this is how pecking order is sorted in the animal kingdom (just like humans i guess)
if its serve fight then of cause spilt em dont say kick the aggeser out all day as pushiment as this cat would just be looking to fight again to make sure its top cat if you just stop the fight and then leave them to it top an bottom cat will have been worked out and the harmony in the pack will be sorted
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I once had two dogs, Border Collie and Black Lab, plus two "Cats", they all got on well together, the cats reached over 20 years and Died before the Dogs, the dogs moped around for ages looking for then, think one of the cats had Siamese in it from its sound
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Bit the bullet and picking up a ginger kitten on Saturday morning.....yikes!!
Insert (GOOD) name suggestions here.....
James
Grafter

This is my old cat Smiley
He's about 150 miles away though Sad
scootie
Grafter

well its ginger so obivous one is garfield but wait to see if keeps easting pizza first  Grin
jmd
Grafter

1. Marmalade.
2.  Spice.
The names "Ginger" is too obvious!
Fixes: 104

Bob
Will Moderate For Thanks
scootie
Grafter

plusnet or jameseh  Grin kit kat
Community Veteran

I'm not a great cat fan really - being more into dogs, but the cats around me puzzle me.
Lots of cats are usually friendly and will let you go up to them slowly and they will be friendly - but those cats that come into my garden will never do that - they run if you go into the garden.
Mind you - I don't really want to encourage them - as they clearly are in my garden hunting the birds.
jmd
Grafter

other names for you - as your other cat is called Pernod - how about
1.  Brandy  or
2.  Sherry

then you have same theme! Smiley
Community Veteran

Eric
scootie
Grafter

asbo cat.
the cats in my street all come from the same house pretty much and they lay on the paverment and dont even blink when i walk by with my 2 dogs. even tho i do chase them out my garden with my dogs when i catch them hunting my birds. i leave them to it tho when i see them at night hunting mice
Lurker
Grafter

Nutmeg