cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kite Flying is alive and well.......

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Kite Flying is alive and well.......

This weekend, we have the Portsmouth International Kite Festival 2009, taking place on Southsea Comon, at the seafront, there are literally hundreds of kites of all shapes and sizes there.  It is an annual event, and except for the carpark charges (£1.10 per hour on the seafront...... if you can find a space) the event is FREE to observers.... (not sure if the kite flyer`s have to donate anything)..
if you want to see a short video of it go to ....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32369450@N02/3870832354/
and for some "unedited" stills.....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32369450@N02/
19 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Kite Flying is alive and well.......

I would love to have seen it - flying kites is such a fun, innocent and non-toxic pastime.
Needless to say, my Cairns go berserk as they think it is a giant bird trying to get them!
itsme
Grafter
Community Veteran

Very good - did any lines get crossed ?
Community Veteran

Fantastic video and stills there Shutter Smiley  Great sky as well.  You've certainly had a better day than us here in Essex.  Grey, cold and generally miserable - in fact a typical Bank Holiday Grin
Community Veteran

After just getting back from kite flying, was surprised to find a topic on the subject. It is amazing what is happening across the water.
Community Veteran

@armo - tomorrows the bank holiday - but if your retired I suppose it doesn't matter....  Wink
Fixes: 47

What amazing kites. Loved the green frog Grin
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
@armo - tomorrows the bank holiday - but if your retired I suppose it doesn't matter....  Wink

Thought you lived in Scotland?, yours was3rd Aug, its ours tomorrow
Community Veteran

Yes I know - but  banks will probably still be closed tomorrow - it gets very confusing - UK Government offices are closed on English bank holidays too !
and we have trade days when different cities have a bank holiday !.
When I worked for an English company but lived in Scotland I got both English and some Scottish bank holidays ! especially 2nd January
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Not as far as I know!.. With a steady "on-shore" breeze, and each kite flier having his own "space" once in the air, they are fairly static, as you can see from the video,  The big Orange one like a snake, was being controlled by the flier pullin and pushing on the hawser .... I think this helps to give the kite "lift"... there is the General flying area, as you see, and also a "demonstration arena", where "stunt kites" in singles and groups are flown, to entertain,   and amaze, the general public.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: shutter
It is an annual event, and except for the carpark charges (£1.10 per hour on the seafront...... if you can find a space) the event is FREE to observers.... (not sure if the kite flyer`s have to donate anything)..

Some of the international kite flyers are paid to attend, for most of the UK clubs we get free parking, we don't have to pay for the camping, and we get fed with a snack lunch.
I looked closely at the video but didn't spot myself, I'm one of the Brighton Kite Flyers (our yellow teddy is hiding behind the white banner in your video - to give people an idea of size he's 10M tall).

Oh yes - quite often! Usually it's the lifters which are used to help the big inflatable fly which cross and wrap around each other, you then have to bring the whole lot down to sort them out (you should have seen the chaos our green and blue octopuses caused on Sunday - took out three other kites).
Quote from: shutter
and also a "demonstration arena", where "stunt kites" in singles and groups are flown, to entertain,   and amaze, the general public.

Did you see Carl of Team Spectrum? One of a handful of people in the world who can fly three two line kites on his own (one in each hand and one clipped to each side of his belt). The front page of their website shows him in action at last year's Portsmouth festival).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If anybody wants to go and see some of the amazing range of kites there are these days there are still two more big festivals left where lots of international flyers (from as far as New Zealand) will be present:
Bristol: 12-13th September
Margate: 19-20th September
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Now I know what your avatar is all about!  Embarrassed
Sounds like a lovely hobby and one that I never even knew existed.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Jelv, your Yellow Teddy link is coming up with a 404 forbidden