cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kindle

annerimmington
Grafter

Kindle

Anyone got a Kindle ?  I have always been a book person and when the Kindle first came out I thought no way will it catch on, you can never replace the experience of reading a physical book........but last year I was fast running out of space to store my vast collection so I decided to go for it and tentatively bought a Kindle from Amazon.  Best thing I ever did, I love it, love the fact you can download books in a few seconds, some of them for free.    I can honestly say I don`t miss physical books any more, no more having to prop up a large hardbook in bed to read............my Kindle is so light, so can even read in bright sunlight - so easy on the eyes.  And of course, the BIG plus is no more finding room for holiday reading material in your case, just download enough books to keep you going and off you go!  Oh, and the battery life is brilliant. 
16 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Kindle

but the colour pictures look horrible
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@annerimmington, judging by your post tally, I would guess you haven't been around chit chat for very long. Kindle, has been discussed here at great length many times, you will find a number of users of this wonderful device among the regular contributors.
Many will say much the same as yourself, including that a few (including myself) who were reluctant to get one on the principle that nothing would in their eyes replace the printed page. How wrong you can be (I admit) Among its great advantages is that pages can be adjusted for font size to suit all readers, each page is quite flat and easy to handle which many modern paperbacks are not, where they have to be bent flat to read around the central curve.
However, the Kindle does not replace all reading material well. If you read any kind of large illustrated non-fiction books the Kindle will not replace them, nor does it pretend to do so. It is though an excellent replacement to the paperback or indeed heavy hardback novel.
My latest addition is The Bible, I'm not at all religious in fact claim to be agnostic. but its a book I've always promised myself I would settle down to read just as a book after having tried a number of times before, but may actually make it with the Kindle edition (its free too!!)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@PP you can always get the Fire version for colour (if it is available over here yet?)
But I have had a SONY Prs-505 for 3.5years now and in that time I have only read TWO "normal" books (both I couldn't get in ebook format) compared to the normal churn of 3-6 books a month I read before, the ereader is better in some-ways and worse in others, bright sunlight no problems, get a book with poor formatting <pah!> but they are normally the free ones/scanned ones that need reset up.
For book management I prefer Calibre to anything else (esp as the Sony/Adobe s/w doesn't work in Linux).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Amazing device, got it as a present & thought I would never use it but find I use it nearly every day.
I Still get a morning paper along with a Sunday paper and am toying with the idea of getting some hardware device to read a newspaper subscription and cancel the paper copy.
Fixes: 47

Yep...happy with mine.
As I've said before it restored my love of reading fiction after a long break Smiley
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,91805.0.html
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

No I haven't got one but I can't see the pro's convincing me to get one.
As said good for paperback stuff but I get the vast majority of them from charity shops for around 20p and return them when I've finished. And anytime I go on holiday any books I take with me are just left there after I've read them.
That said I used to say I'd never get a mobile when everyone around me had one and more recently that I would never get a smart phone. So I guess I'd better not say I'd never get one.
I've seen kindle software available for android. No idea what's that's like or if it's legal. Probably be ok if you have one of the huge phones or a tablet.
Fixes: 47

I have Amazon Kindle software on my Android and have used it fine and it's perfectly legal.
I syncs with my Kindle so I don't have to remember where I left off when I next pick up my Kindle.
I also have the app on my PC but that was just out of curiosity.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
brad
Grafter

Very tempted to get one of these once I get a bit of spare cash that I can put aside for this (without feeling guilt!).
I always find a reason lately not to read my paperbacks that I have still to read, hopefully I'll be like Strat in that it would reignite my passion for reading again.
Fixes: 104

love my kindle, great for holidays so you don't have lug a bunch of books around. was nice to have the fire and ice series on it which are quite hefty tombes!
Will Moderate For Thanks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

I too like it for free reading, but the inability to pass on a book you've paid for and liked, is a tad annoying Roll eyes  
The bit I REALLY like is the ability to carry with me a load of Microsoft manuals and other technical data without needing a wheelie-bag!   It's saved many frustrating trips back to the car 'cos it just sits in the PC bag Cheesy
The frustrating bit is the speed with which the keyboard symbols disappeared after making a lot of use of the excellent dictionary.
Maurice

jmd
Grafter

I am another huge fan of my Kindle - best thing I bought!  Lots of free books and the paid for ones have all been around 99p to £2 [but quite a few under 99p].  I also get books from library but it means they last longer as I read them between kindle books!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Does anyone else read more than one novel at a time (er! I don't mean at the same time Huh Huh) Kindle or paper versions. I quite often have two or three on the go at a time, reading whichever I fancy at the time. I find no particular difficulty and pick up the story without any problem. A brother-in-law say's this is not possible, being a rare reader himself will often take months to finish a novel.
The Kindle actually makes this easier.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
annerimmington
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
Does anyone else read more than one novel at a time (er! I don't mean at the same time Huh Huh) Kindle or paper versions. I quite often have two or three on the go at a time, reading whichever I fancy at the time. I find no particular difficulty and pick up the story without any problem. A brother-in-law say's this is not possible, being a rare reader himself will often take months to finish a novel.
The Kindle actually makes this easier.

Oh yes, I have two or three going at the same time Smiley
Community Veteran

I got a Kindle for Christmas and like it. I haven't quite lost the hankering after "proper" books, but it's convenient for carting around. I have downloaded a few books, some of them free, and found that the art of proofreading seems to have died in relation to e-books. I hardly seem to be able to read more than a couple of pages without coming across a typo of some sort, and it's very distracting  Sad
That said that having spent most of a fortnight on jury service sitting around, it was very handy  Smiley
John