cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kindle

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Kindle

Just had a email from Amazon advising me to update my Kindle before 22 March otherwise I will no longer be able to download e books or have wi fi access for the Kindle.
Has anyone else had the same email ?
These days it's hard to know what's genuine and what's a scam.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Kindle

As a dedicated Kindle user. I have definitely not seen anything like this from Amazon...yet. And probably ignore it if I did.
I can't see why they would need to do this. To stop you purchasing more material would seem like cutting off their noses...etc. etc.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I had one too, though I haven't used my Kindle in years. It says your Kindle will brick if you don't allow it to update by 22nd March
This link: seems valid  www.amazon.com/ku2016?ref_=deveng_eicert and doesn't trigger Kaspersky nor malwarebytes
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 104

Quote from: Petlew
As a dedicated Kindle user. I have definitely not seen anything like this from Amazon...yet. And probably ignore it if I did.

your kindle probably updated automatically if you have wifi switched on, mine has had an update pushed OTA in the past few months.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Not a kindle kinda person,..... just googled "Kindle Udates".... and the third or fourth entry on the search results was this....
http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/3/10903424/amazon-kindle-ereaders-update-coming

Perhaps a more intensive search would reveal whether the email is a scam or not...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Hmm will probably break my jail broken Kindle, don't think I will install it yet. I LIKE thing like current cover mode. I don't use the wifi on it anyway, updating using Calibre & usb.
Community Veteran

@dvorak, My Kindle is not connected to wi-fi all the time only when I download something new (it almost doubles the battery usage with wi-fi on continuously)
It is though quite possible an update might have happened during/with a download, but they are pretty fast, from switch wi-fi on to completion of download of an average length (what's that you may ask?) novel to switch back to airline mode is probably well under 30 seconds.
Addendum: that got me interested as a nag seemed to remember something in the book listing on the device. I have indeed a "letter" from Amazon telling me I have been updated, not dated, I have no idea how long it has been there, probably a glance at my online Amazon Kindle account would give me the full details when it was delivered etc.
Its just a single page, so would have no doubt taken just split-seconds to add to my Kindle.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Just checked mine is too old to be updated. (One of the "old" non touchscreen, without keyboard ones)
Community Veteran

A Paperwhite here.
Came through the non and keyboard types, The Paperwhite is by far the best in my opinion (as a stand-alone reader, as opposed to a Fire or one of the many other tablets)

Community Veteran

I wanted a pw but when I bought the kindle (2nd hand) for £30 I just couldn't raise the extra £50 for it. Might look at the 2nd hand shops this year to see what they are 2nd hand now.
I have had :
Sony 500 - best e-reader I have had battery died and I killed it trying to replace it. Had it for 3 years and spent £150 on it new!
Nook - cheap and cheerful touch screen (£17 at the time I bought it) used it for about 18 months.
Kindle - works what more can I say. Collections are a PITA to setup, Calibre kindle collections helps with that but still no where as good as the Sony was. Had it for about 18 months now
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks for the responses, the link given plus posts from other users would suggest the email is genuine.
Think I will give it a miss as I have tons of ebooks I need to get through and there are a number of other sources for getting ebooks as mentioned in HMb's post
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1