Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Kindle Fire

I'll buy you one as long as you agree to buy 50 Kindle copies of my books  Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Will I might just do that, providing your books are good !
Perhaps you could put one book on Amazon at 99 pence or less as a taster as I might not be the only one to buy your other 49 books. Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Its the basic kindle I want but even with the new lowered price of £69, it costs way too much.  £45-55 and I might be tempted, so I will still keep to buying normal books for now.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
David_W
Rising Star

I pre-ordered the Kindle Fire 7" tablet, for a few quid more you get the HD version so it's a bit of a no-brainer to get the HD rather than SD tablet.  I do have an old cheap Android tablet but the hardware is rubbish and the battery is terrible for reading books, it'll run out too quickly (about 2 hours of use) so totally useless for reading Asimov!
MJN
Aspiring Pro

Did you consider the Google Nexus 7? Battery life shouldn't be a problem with that.
Mathew
David_W
Rising Star

I didn't consider the Nexus no, it's more expensive (the Fire HD 16Gb is £159, the Nexus 16Gb is £199) though having a look the Nexus is quad core compared to the dual core Fire and doesn't come with that silly advertising platform, gah, now I'm going to have to think some more.......
MJN
Aspiring Pro

The CPU difference is unlikely to translate into a straightforward comparison. More pertinent might be what Amazon's OS is like, and as far as I am aware it is not based on Jelly Bean and so will not have the benefit of Project Butter and other enhancements which might make more apparent speed differences in use.
Perhaps it might boil down to what you want to use it for? If it is purely consumption of media from Amazon then the Fire arguably makes more sense - it ought to behave a bit more 'appliance like' in that regard and do the thing perfectly. If however you're more after a 'general purpose' tablet from which you can pick and choose anything from the Android marketplace then it might not be best suited to that given that's not it's intended purpose. No HDMI output on the Nexus however so that could be a dealbreaker for some.
Mathew
David_W
Rising Star

I actually have no idea what I'm going to use it for, it's an impulse buy  Embarrassed
MJN
Aspiring Pro

Can't go wrong then!  Wink
I've got a Nexus so there might be some bias there, if only due to greater familiarity with the device. However, if your use requirement is not set in stone then something like a Nexus, or any 'general purpose' tablet, is probably more likely to fit your needs given the flexibility.
For what it's worth I bought it primarily as a book reader for holidays (my wife's got a Kindle), but I was concious that for the rest of the year I tend not to read all that much. Web browsing in the lounge was always done on my laptop, and when out-and-about I was more than happy with my Android phone (HTC Incredible S).
I plumped for the tablet given the price and am now hooked - the laptop has barely seen the light of day and if going on a train journey, or even a passenger in a car, using the tablet to browse (tethered via my phone) or read offline content has been a real success. I still use my phone for satnav functions however the tablet has been great for more general map reading - either Google Maps for finding places or MM Tracker for viewing OS maps, the latter for which we've taken on quite a few walks now given the long battery life (compared to a smartphone at least).
Mathew
David_W
Rising Star

My smartphone (Lumia 800) is fantastic for doing stuff with (I'd probably use it as a GPS device as the screen is the right size and the maps are great) but for browsing the internet or reading I find the screen size to be a limiting factor.  if I'm playing a game (currently Guild Wars 2) and find I need information I'll atl-tab which of course means I need to remember what I find to apply it (not very handy that) so having a tablet would let me browse the net, find the information and follow it without leaving my game.
Then there are times I'm lazy, on my bed playing the Wii or another console, my phone is good for reading email but for other stuff the 7" will be a better option (or maybe a 10 inch).  When it's not in use I'll let my mother play on it, she has an Android phone and uses it pretty well so the larger screen will probably be better for her (oh, and my 4 year old niece, she can play Angry Birds).