cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Killing ants

mike360
Grafter

Killing ants

Hi all i was wondering (before i go buy some) does Borax Substitute kill ants like normal borax can. thanks
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Killing ants

I bought a load of Borax off eBay for not too much money.
The ant powder from most places kills them pretty quickly but too fast for them to effectively take it back to their nest and kill the queen.
Buy some borax, mix with sugar and water and spray around the nest.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Or just put a small pile of sugar out the nearest window and they'll all go back outside overnight Wink
No seriously it works. We had tons of them crawling around the kitchen a few weeks back - they'd got in through the wall and chewed their way through the grout between the tiles under the window ledge. The missus went out there one day and there was a mighty shriek! She splattered a few but that clearly wasn't going to work as they kept coming in so I just tipped some sugar out the window (about 2 tablespoons worth). Kitchen light went off that evening and they went back to the nest. No sign of them after that as they'd clearly found their little gold mine outside the next morning and decided to stay out there. We blocked off the holes while they were destracted and never seen them since  Smiley
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

How effective would it be for spraying over my block paving drive which has loads of ants underneath it
Fixes: 47

I have some of this.
I find it gets rid of the ants on my patio but they come back each year.
I also had 4 ants nests on my lawn and used this product and they haven't returned this year.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I also had 4 ants nests on my lawn and used this product and they haven't returned this year.

I probably have 30+ nests around the garden and patio - they are an absolute nightmare and I'm sure they have caused part of my front path to subside slightly.
Community Veteran

I did wonder about getting this http://lodi-uk.com/Perbio_Choc_RTU.html
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

For those with ants on the lawn..... I recommend this....  http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_W90V87w3sr8/TRQZUzundbI/AAAAAAAAAgY/cNL4niGDzQk/s320/Giant-anteater-4059%2...
However, this...        Might be more useful to OldJim......  http://www.ehenryhoover.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Henry-Hoover.jpg
Cheesy
Community Veteran

I use Nippon Ant Killer Liquid and it works very well.  Simply put a few drops around where you find the ants.  The ants will feed on it and take it back to the nest where it will kill all the other ants.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Boiling water is cheap.  Grin

Community Veteran

A little bit more information - I need to treat about 240 sq yds
Community Veteran

Jim, try a tube of Nippon (liquid not powder).  Just put a few drops around your area and see what it's done in a few hours.
I used Nippon a few hours ago.  Just been to have a look and there is only the odd ant left crawling around.  Works well for me.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Boiling water is cheap.  Grin

It's also incredibly cruel.
Life is life no matter how big or small.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: artmo
Jim, try a tube of Nippon (liquid not powder).  Just put a few drops around your area and see what it's done in a few hours.
I used Nippon a few hours ago.  Just been to have a look and there is only the odd ant left crawling around.  Works well for me.
Used it many times and it works well but they usually come back the following year.
Community Veteran

I use that in the greenhouse but the problem with the drive is that the only evidence of the ants is that the sand between the blocks is disturbed - they don't seem to come onto the surface
Having said that - since we actually had some rain they seem to have gone
I wonder if a hosepipe flooding between the blocks and the base layer which is essentially impervious might do the same job.
I will monitor it as the last heat wave was the first really dry spell we had since it was laid