Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Killers' life terms 'breach their human rights'

shalom2010
Grafter

Killers' life terms 'breach their human rights'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23230419
If a person kills someone, surely they have breached the dead persons human rights (they cannot have any if they are dead!) - or am I missing somethingHuh
21 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Killers' life terms 'breach their human rights'

If a person kills someone they forfeit their own human rights.....but that's just my opinion.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I thought this was a joke when I saw the topic in the main list until I clicked in and saw the bbc link.
Europe has gone too far now. They wouldn't impose this on their own countries people but they're more than happy to impose all sorts of stupid bull on the UKs citizens. We need to get out of europe permanently.
Life is life. You murder someone and you loose your rights to your own.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

The three men are among a group of 49 people in England and Wales who are serving whole life tariffs.
This means they cannot be released other than at the discretion of the justice secretary on compassionate grounds

Similar to the compassion they showed their victims I take it.  Lips are sealed
Quote from: Sprite
We need to get out of europe permanently.

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116370.msg1005127.html#msg1005127
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

As has been said elsewhere - sod all to do with the EU but is because we signed up to the European Court of Human Rights - this is one reason Theresa May wants to get out of it  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2287183/A-great-day-British-justice-Theresa-May-vows-UK-Euro...
Mrs May wants to withdraw from the convention before the next Election in 2015, but Liberal Democrat Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, a keen pro-European, has made it clear he will veto the initiative.

This is a bit of background
Origins and machinery of the European human rights system
The European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) is an international treaty drawn up within the Council of Europe, which was established in Strasbourg in 1949 in the course of the first post-war attempt to unify Europe. The United Kingdom was among the first states to ratify the ECHR and played a pivotal role in its creation. The UK accepted the right of individuals to take a case to Strasbourg and the jurisdiction of the ECtHR in 1966.
In 1998, the right of individual petition and the jurisdiction of the Court were made compulsory for all states which are members of the ECHR.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Strat
If a person kills someone they forfeit their own human rights.....but that's just my opinion.

I'd like to amend that to If a person causes deliberate injury to another person they forfeit their own human rights
Community Veteran

Another example of the ECHR poking their nose into our business. Life should mean life IMO.
It is interesting to see on the BBC link that one of the murderers has posted on his blog and on a website - what are we doing to allow access to blogs and websites?
shalom2010
Grafter

@journeys - Thanks, sounds more fair.

It brings in the situation where a person or the wider society cannot protect themselves or their property in a manner they deem appropriate.
Fixes: 125

Bring back capital punishment...
That'll help dispense with any need for the ECHR!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Parliament would never vote to bring back the death sentence.  In a radio discussion recently it was stated the majority of voters would not want it either.
Community Veteran

Surely allowing such creatures to have their sentencing reviewed might be OK if the review is then allowed to reinstate the original sentence and the lawyers can pocket the extra cash that the process will entail?  Every one comes off better (except the criminal of course and the taxpayer).
Crazy
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
They wouldn't impose this on their own countries people but they're more than happy to impose all sorts of stupid bull on the UKs citizens.

Their own countries' people? The ECHR is our court too. That's precisely why it has the power it does. If it wasn't our court it wouldn't have that power. And perhaps it hasn't ruled on other countries in Europe because it doesn't need to. Of course any ruling by the ECHR on other countries is very unlikely to be reported here. That wouldn't fit in with the notions that certain areas of the media like to tout.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

These poor murderers should be given choice.  A whole life sentence or hanging.  After all the life sentence was bought in as a replacement for hanging.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
A whole life sentence or hanging.
Yep, that works for me too