cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kick in the teeth for the government - innocent people on the DNA database

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: Kick in the teeth for the government - innocent people on the DNA database

I would imagine that my DNA is still on file with the old bill. I had it taken as part of a murder enquiry around the mid 90’s. It wasn’t taken because I was a suspect; it was taken (with my consent) along with every male living (or in my case working) in a specific area to allow the police to rule out a swathe of people from the enquiry. At the time it seemed a great idea and I was 100% happy with it.
I must admit that now there is a small part of me that wonders if that information might ever be used against me in error, and how the hell you would sort it out if it happened.
Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sorry to be late to the debate.  I objekt to my DNA been held on a government computer systom.
Quote from: adiewoo
Pierre - so by your rational everybodys DNA should be recorded at birth in case they do something wrong?

So why not go one step ferver and chip everyone at birth in case they do something wrong?  Law abiding citizens shouldn't be bothered by that should they?
Quote from: adiewoo
But again it's a case of where do you draw the line, DNA now, then we'll store your emails, then record all your phone calls,  then open all your mail and scan.. all just one more thing at a time.

That is what the government wants to do!  In the guys of stopping terrorism, it won't stop terrorism!
How many discs USB stiks and laptops have been lost with this government?  Do you trust this government with your data?  I don't!
All this is a slippery slope, and where do we draw the line at the end of the day?
Quote from: Strat
I feel we have to draw a distinction between static personal data (blood group, finger prints, DNA etc) and dynamic personal data such as snail-mail, email, phone calls, Internet usage etc.

But the government isn't going to draw a line!  The government wants all your data In the guys of stopping terrorism, but it won't stop terrorism!
Quote from: artmo
Years ago if you had your fingerprints taken to eliminate them from a burglary that had taken place at your home you were offered the choice to leave them on record or have them destroyed.  Why can't the same be done with DNA?  Innocent people could be given the right to have their samples destroyed. 

Because this government wants all your data to play with, and your fingerprints are kept now!  You are not given a choice to day!
As I sed all this is a slippery slope, and where do we draw the line at the end of the day?
We need a new government!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

if the fuzz had any sense they'd just keep shut about the whole thing and quietly carry on keeping the info.
Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Here's one innocent person who regretted the police had her fingerprint. A policewoman who lost her career becauseof a mismatch.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/684563.stm
Highlighted
Community Veteran

there's a lot more going on with that case than is being revealed to the public.  it would be interesting to know why the people who wanted her out of the force wanted her out of the force.
in this case the fingerprint is incidental.
Highlighted
Grafter

Look like it' still ongoing with a Public inquiry scheduled for this year.
Highlighted
Grafter

Let us not forget that the police make mistakes all the time.
I seen a program on the TV about DNA evidencs and it said on there that DNA technolgy in this country is not definative proof and that jurers in a case natrually think it is.
A guy was arrested for a burglary in london where you had to be pretty fit to gain access to the property or premises which was done to DNA evidence.
The fact that the guy was disabled and lived 100's of miles away didnt stop then from arresting him. He was later let off but not after days of questioning and upheaval to his life.

Id be more concerned at the polce botching everything up and having to pay people money in compensation as this must cost us the taxpayers a fortune.
We are begining to live in a police state , As someone said why worry if you havent done anything wrong, tell that to the prisoners who where falsly convicted of crimes that we hear about all the time.