cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kick in the teeth for the government - innocent people on the DNA database

Highlighted
Fixes: 1,071

Re: Kick in the teeth for the government - innocent people on the DNA database

you might feel that and sure most would agree with you, but would the government agree? I'm not so sure..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Grafter

and whats wrong with cross dressing
Highlighted
Fixes: 460

I prefer her mate Pierre Smiley

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted

Of course if we take this further and restrict our data and it's usage, customer facing government departments wouldn't be able to share our data.............
Oh....it seems they don't as I found out yesterday when I went to the HMR&C about my excessive income tax. Angry Crazy

Highlighted

Sure it'll be on a disk either in the post or on a train somewhere  Crazy
Customer / Moderator
Highlighted

When my wife died 3 years ago I received bereavement benefit for 1 year which was taxed. The DWP didn't tell the HMR&C that it had stopped and I continued to be taxed on it. Roll_eyes Angry
Yesterday I hopefully sorted it out. Undecided

Highlighted

That's really bad, hope it is sorted out for you.  Sad
Customer / Moderator
Highlighted

I was in two minds about going to sort it as I know how much the government needs extra money at the moment Tongue Roll_eyes

Highlighted

There gonna take it back off you in a year or two anyone so you might as well get it whilst you can  Wink
Customer / Moderator
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Years ago if you had your fingerprints taken to eliminate them from a burglary that had taken place at your home you were offered the choice to leave them on record or have them destroyed.  Why can't the same be done with DNA?  Innocent people could be given the right to have their samples destroyed. 
Highlighted
Grafter

The other question has to be, How do you know they have destroyed the records when they say they have. I can't see the new ruling making any difference.
Highlighted

They'll send them to the local tip in the back of a taxi. Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Grafter

Good! I'm glad that wacky Jacqui is disappointed.
I'm disappointed that she cannot see how inappropriate it is to not only retain DNA from innocent people, but also DNA from witnesses who may simply have voluntarily agreed to DNA sampling in order to be eliminated from an enquiry.
According to an idiot I heard on the radio earlier today, DNA retention is justified in case you commit a crime in the future. He seems to think it is ok for you to be treated as a suspect for the rest of your life. You just have to be unfortunate enough to drop a paper hanky in a litter bin some time before a serious crime occurs nearby, and your DNA will be present at or near the scene of the crime, and if you are on the database you may become a suspect. Given the increasing tendency for Police to arrest on the suspicion, and ask questions later, people will increasingly find themselves being arrested and questioned simply because the Police know they had been in the vicinity of the crime. Bear in mind also that with recent changes in the the law, every offence, no matter how minor, is now an arrestable office, so a lot more people are going to get added to the DNA database.
Incidentally, the national ID card scheme gives rise to similar issues. The government intends that the card will be required to authorise access to any publicly funded services (amongst other things). It's easy to see what's really intended. A policeman knocks at your door: "Mr X, you had a consultation with your GP at 5.15 pm and at 6.30 pm you visited a nearby pharmacy to collect a prescription. You are under suspicion following a serious attack on a woman in the vicinity between these times, and you are being arrested for questioning." This isn't meant to be a serious example, but it perhaps shows how technology can damage the interests of individuals, if government implements new technologies that empower the state without incorporating proper safeguards for the protection of individuals.
By the way, if anyone thinks I'm being a bit fanciful in my examples, because they think the Police don't do things like this. Well I'm not, and they do. I have a friend who was arrested, fingerprinted and swabbed for DNA, on suspicion of a theft she did not commit, on the basis of a complaint to the Police from a neighbour.
Highlighted
Grafter

It would seem that the police no longer need a warrant to obtain evidence - they just pretent to be investigating 'terrorism'. So why is it that every day the police seem to give the law abiding nation yet another reason to hold them in contempt. Are the UK police becoming public enemy number one?
Highlighted
Grafter

TBH, I don't really have an issue with my DNA being stored, my issue would be the way that it might be used in the future.
If I could trust the Gov't and police etc to be responsible, it would be fine.
As it is, I trust them less than they trust me, so I'll keep it to myself for now.