Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kick in the teeth for the government - innocent people on the DNA database

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Kick in the teeth for the government - innocent people on the DNA database

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7764069.stm
Two British men should not have had their DNA and fingerprints retained by police, the European Court of Human Rights has ruled.
The men's information was held by South Yorkshire Police, although neither was convicted of any offence.
The judgement could have major implications on how DNA records are stored in the UK's national database.
36 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Kick in the teeth for the government - innocent people on the DNA database

Personally I think it just delays the inevitable.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

If a person I innocent, and has nothing to hide, why should he worry if someone has his DNA  Embarrassed
James
Grafter

To be honest, I really wouldn't care less if someone had my DNA, fingerprints or whatever.
Fixes: 105

Conversley, why if you haven't done anything wrong should your DNA be stored?
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

so far after time DNA - up to 17 years in the case this week have found the culprit.
over 3000 murder cases have been solved with incidental DNA test.
Would you please go and make your point to the Victims relatives
Community Veteran

and how many of those were the DNA of people who hadn't been convicted of a crime - a very small minority I believe
To update from El Reg http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/29/brown_dna_database_innocent_genewatch/print.html
In his speech (http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page15785.asp) on "Liberty and Security" at the Institute for Public Policy Research, Brown said: "If we had not made this change [retaining innocents' DNA profiles], 8,000 suspects who have been matched with crime scenes since 2001 would in all probability have got away, their DNA having been deleted from the database.
"This includes 114 murders, 55 attempted murders, 116 rapes, 68 other sexual offences, 119 aggravated burglaries, and 127 drugs offences."
The figures Brown cited are drawn from the Home Office's NDNAD annual report. The most recent numbers say that "200,300 or so" profiles have been retained that would have been removed before the Criminal Justice and Police Act 2001 hit the statute book. That number is estimated from comparing the number of entries in the Police National Computer (PNC) to the number of DNA profiles.
The Home Office then calculates what proportion of the entire NDNAD acquitted and untried suspects represent. This factor is used to estimate that 13,964 offences recorded by the police in 2005/06 were matched to a profile on the database that would not have been retained before 2001. In turn, the number of those supposed matches that would have been murder cases is calculated: 114.
And finally, the Prime Minister informs the public that 114 murderers would "in all probability have got away".
pierre_pierre
Grafter

havnt looked yet but one was because his sister was a very close match, so they tested the family and found him
Community Veteran

DNA itself *may* be unique, but the markers used (called Loci) may not be
B.

Pierre - so by your rational everybodys DNA should be recorded at birth in case they do something wrong?
Do we next put CCTV cameras in everyones home just in case they do something wrong? Law abiding citizens shouldn't be bothered by that should they?
Not trying to be inflamatory (probably failing), but my fear is it's a slippery slope and where do we draw the line?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I agree with Adiewoo here - There are plenty of reasons why I would like information such as my DNA kept off of a national register, and not because I'm a "sekrit criminal mastermind".  (ok, not ONLY because of that Tongue)
One of the main reasons is sheer incompetence in the security of such databases (I have the same complaint against biometric ID cards).
This book should be mandatory reading for teenagers everywhere btw - I have read it several times and it's shockingly accurate in some respects.
B.
Community Veteran

With respect to the Tobin case it was his son's DNA which was on the purse (he was 3 years old at the time) but the critical fact is
Tests on the black purse, found almost 18 years ago in the centre of Edinburgh, disclosed a DNA match, the High Court in Dundee was told.
Swabs taken from the purse were compared with a mouth swab given by Daniel Wilson to police investigating Vicky's disappearance and murder.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article5226700.ece
So his (the son's DNA) was not on the national database but was taken as part of the investigation.
This implies, while not explicitly stated, that Tobin's DNA (he was on the database as a convicted criminal) gave a close enough match that the members of his family were checked.

Quote from: adiewoo
Conversley, why if you haven't done anything wrong should your DNA be stored?

Considering the huge amount of personal data stored about an individual is one more item such a great problem. Maybe the issue should be how the data is used (and stored) rather than the data itself.
PS sorry adiewoo for picking your post as the example...nothing personal intended Smiley

No worries, it's an interesting debate to be having and we're all taking it in the right way (so far  Grin)
But again it's a case of where do you draw the line, DNA now, then we'll store your emails, then record all your phone calls,  then open all your mail and scan.. all just one more thing at a time.
And whilst some people might not have an issue what about the poor bloke who cross dresses in private (not me BTW) that could be highly embarassing for him should someone lose a disc with his information on..
Will Moderate For Thanks

I feel we have to draw a distinction between static personal data (blood group, finger prints, DNA etc) and dynamic personal data such as snail-mail, email, phone calls, Internet usage etc.