15 REPLIES
Fixes: 102

Re: Ken Clarke to return to Tory front bench

Why are things bad?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It might more be of an astute move than it looks at face value, Behind all the "hale fellow well met" there's a very able politician and, and one of the few who might be able to give the "prince of darkness" a run for his money, they're old sparring partners. Don't write him off just yet.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 102

Exactly my thoughts Petlew, his a big hitter and I think he will work well with Cameron.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

He's a big beast of the Conservative Party and will certainly keep Lord Meddlesome in check.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

you`ve only got to study mandleson`s face to see that you cannot trust his words.... Next time you see him ... just imagine what he is thinking behind that false cockeyed smile, and even his eyes are not in a straight line....  Cheesy
Community Veteran

And of course, the Gord 'n' Ali show, will not look forward to Clarke being shadow spokesman on anything they're trying to dabble with, he's been round that particular block himself a few times...albeit not always successfully.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
you`ve only got to study mandleson`s face to see that you cannot trust his words

Mandleson has only one all consuming interest in life...P Mandleson.

Community Veteran

And he has a few questions to answer about how he was able to buy his £2.5m house - history repeating itself do you think Wink Wink
Community Veteran

That and a few others like it Artmo. I think we shouldn't lose sight of what Mandleson is doing there; he's there to take the flack off of Gord 'n' Ali while they get on with ruining the country. In spite of all the titles and honours bestowed on him, I suspect he's completely expendable, Brown has never liked or trusted him and, I believe will get rid of him just as soon as he's able.

Community Veteran

Big problem I have with this guy is he is a director of  tobacco firm(s) that now that their market share is shrinking in western / 1st world countries - it was alleged by a recent TV programme that they are targeting children and other people in third world countries.
To me anyone associated with doing this sort of thing if true is not someone I would trust.
Plus he was a senior member of the government that lost credibility and was so thoroughly dumped by the electorate in 1997
techguy
Grafter

Yes that is my problem too, IF the Tories were to get in at the next election I would hope he would resign the directorship but I doubt it.
As regards Mandelson, hasn't he been compared to a lizard before?
randpwar
Grafter

I think he's resigned from that particularly abhorrent directorship
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/kenneth_clarke/rushcliffe#register
Clarke is one of the few Tories that I have any time for and yet, ironically, his return at this point does feel like the last throw of the dice by a desperate and clueless opposition. I fully understand and share anyone’s dissatisfaction with the Government, but believe me, David and his public school cohorts propped up by Clarke and a few others just ain’t the answer. I couldn’t with my hand on my heart vote for any party that included John Redwood, could you? 
Steps down from soapbox and runs for cover
Community Veteran

I hope this is true as it is something that he will have to deal with on numerous occasions if not.
Could I also draw everyone's attention to the splash screen that comes up prior to being able to view Clarke's info.  It is regarding the vote on Thursday where MPs will be trying to block release of their expenses.  If you feel this information should be made public please send a message to your MP via the link.
randpwar
Grafter

Just found this which says that he went to the Singapore Grand Prix with his son all paid for by BAT  Sad Angry 
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmregmem/090114/090114.pdf