cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping your Plusnet safe - scam/virus ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Keeping your Plusnet safe - scam/virus ?

Just received this..

____________________________________________________________________________________

From <plusnet@comm.plus.net>

Subject  Keeping your Plusnet account secure

Reply to mail.jblolydhduubitmdn@comm.plus.net

To XXXXXXX  ( my name )

_____________________________________________________________________________________

If you can’t see this email, ( shudda gone to specsavers)     --   (click here linky removed by O.P.  ! ! )

Hello,

At Plusnet we take the security of our customers very seriously and we want to make sure you are aware of how to protect yourself from potential 'phishing' scams.

What is phishing?

Phishing is a technique used by cyber criminals to coerce customers into disclosing sensitive information such as passwords. Phishing is an email or website that poses as a company or brand you recognise. Phishing emails are becoming more and more convincing, so you need to be wary every time you open an email with links, attachments or requests for personal information. These are some of the tell-tale signs to look out for:
    • Asking for personal information - sending a link and asking for you to input your full password.

• Asking you to click on a link - emails that require you to click on a link should be approached with caution. Hover over the hyperlink to reveal the URL to ensure that it is legitimate. If in doubt, contact the company or sender direct.

• Prizes and offers - if it’s too good to be true, it probably is. Phishing emails promise everything from free mobile phones and expensive gadgets to large cash sums.

• Spelling mistakes - spelling or grammatical errors should ring alarm bells straight away. But remember that some of the more sophisticated scams won’t have these oversights.

• Deadlines - some scams work by creating a sense of urgency, threatening the closure of an account or suspension of membership.

• Unusual attachments - if there is an attachment that you didn't expect, it could be a sign that it’s a phishing email. Do not open any attachments unless you know the sender and are expecting to see one.
What should I do?

By checking the sender's email address, you should be able to tell whether it is real. If you are still unsure, do not open or click on anything. If you are worried that you have clicked on a phishing link, the best advice is to change your Plusnet password. You can do this by visiting the Plusnet website and following these steps:
    1. Click on the 'my account' tab at the top of the Plusnet home page and choose the Broadband option

1. Login in to Member Centre using your username

1. Click on the 'Manage Account' option at the top

1. Click on 'Account Details'

1. Choose the 'change password' option to reset your password
If you would like any more information, we have a helpful guide to staying safe online on the help and support section on the Plusnet website.

Best Wishes,

The Plusnet Team

( CLICK HERE linky removed by O.P.)   to view this email in a new window  

This email has been sent because it contains important information about your service from Plusnet. Please don’t reply to this email as it is from an unmonitored address.

Email ref: PHEM01

Plusnet plc
Registered Office Address: The Balance, 2 Pinfold Street, Sheffield, S1 2GU
Registered in England, No: 3279013

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) removed potentially malicious links.

10 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Keeping your Plusnet safe - scam/virus ?

Looks genuine to me.

Remeber you are unique - just like everyone else
jab1
All Star
Fixes: 6

Looks OK to me, too, but I haven't had one - yet. Smiley

John
Community Veteran

@jab1  that`s because you haven`t got enough "fixes" and "post count" to elevate you unto "privelige member" status ! Cheesy

jab1
All Star

@shutter You may be right with that, or alternatively, PN know I've been on the web long enough to be able to spot spam.Wink

As a serious point though, did you check the header for origination?

John
Community Veteran

on a serious point..... was there any need to  ? ?    

check out the "salutation" ...

jab1
All Star

That 'salutation' - do you mean the 'reply to' bit? If so, and I agree it is bad practice, I have checked a couple of my old update emails and they include ridiculous names in the 'reply to' line, so I still say this could be genuine - without the full header, I ain't going to stick my neck out and say it definitely is, though.

John
Community Veteran

the "Salutation"  normally refers to the "header" of a letter.... like

Dear sir,

Or

Dear Mr. XXXXX

Or

your username,

Or

your proper name, .

in the case of this type of message... it would, ( from Plusnet ) have your name as the "salutation" .

jab1
All Star

OK, got you.Smiley

As you, for good reason, didn't post the HTML version of the mail, we can't see all of it, but it still looks fairly legit to me?

Do you still have it?

John
Community Veteran

yes

Community Veteran

Having passed the heading of the email to @jab1 he is of the opinion that it "may" be genuine, as the IP address is something used by BT bulk mailers. 

he has also suggested that I  alert @Gandalf   and  @adamwalker  for their comments/investigations, as to why I am the only person this (seems) to have been sent to... and nobody else on the forum has said.... "Oh yes... I got that too." ...