cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping old documents

Fixes: 124

Keeping old documents

Just been going through my filing cabinet (as I tend to do once a year.
I keep all banks/credit card statements for 7 years after that I do shred and throw them.
Got quite a few old insurance documents both car and contents. To save space I'm wondering whether it's really necessary to keep more than this years and. maybe, last year's. I'm sure there's no legal requirement and with records being kept by the insurance companies I can't see there could be a problem with proving NCD which currently stands at over 20 years.
I suppose I could scan the policy documents of past years and then discard all the relevant paperwork.
I only keep receipts for 6 years as that's the limit you can make a claim under the SoG act.
What do others do with all this stuff?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Keeping old documents

I tend to shove all mine in a rather large pile and forget about it. The little shelf on the desk has a sort of hole at the back of it where things end up falling down into. Once its made its way there I tend not to worry about it until the next time I decide to get organised where the entire process starts again.
As for how long I keep stuff.. well I sort of make that up as I go along really. I've pretty much kept every document from the car insurers as they've tried to diddle me in the past a couple of times so I have a books worth of docs from them which I don't throw - even for temp cover for a couple of days to a week I keep that too.
What I really need is one of those document scanners with the auto feeder that scans multiple pages at a time. Then I could setup on my local webserver a system for storing scanned docs and generating barcodes before scanning so the system knows where to store each set. Then I could just dump everything in a big pile / box and seal it at the end of each year and be done with it. Unfortunately thats not really possible at the moment so I'll just stick with the black hole in the desk  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

I usually shred stuff like insurance documents after 2 years. Other stuff is shredded or not as appropriate.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Scan, convert to PDF, and PDF merge into years then batches of ten years, shred and burn paper after a few days.

I've found 'scan to PDF' to be extremely useful in disputes but I do scan forms before sending them off in the post.
Community Veteran

I'm in the process of trying to clear out a load of papers at this time.  There is no need to keep expired insurance docs so they are being shredded.  I have spoken to my financial adviser and he has copies of all docs he has been involved with for me so I can get rid of those as well. My poor little shredder will be working overtime Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What do you do with property deeds? With the 'land registry', the need for property deeds has become somewhat redundant. It was customary for the Bank/Building Society to hold them as part of a Mortgage guarantee.
I've scanned and PDF'd ours but am rather loath to shred them.
Community Veteran

I spoke to a solicitor who said they were no longer valid and could be disposed of.  I have, however, kept mine.

I wouldn't even consider shredding those......but I haven't scanned mine....yet.