cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep Fit ! Ha Ha !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Keep Fit ! Ha Ha !

Eat this. don`t eat that... .. keep your body in trim..... look after your body... you only got one... do lots of exercise...go jogging... join a gym... don`t smoke... don`t drink...  ( don`t go out with wimmin ....well, maybe not that one ! ! !  ).. All the usual stuff about keeping fit and healthy, drummed into us. day after day....

My Brother in law, was ex-army tank mechanic... he kept fit... in the army.. doing all the usual stuff, including heavy lifting as part of his work..  came out.. and went to work in a HGV main dealership, doing pretty much the same thing... used to cycle 5 miles to work, in the morning... anf 5 miles back home have a light meal, then go out for another 10 to 15 mile ride  before settling down for the evening...

One day he was found  dead from heart failure... fell of his bike on one of his evening rides.  He was only 45 yrs old...

so much for keeping fit.....

Reading the papers... I note another "keep fit" cyclist has died suddenly,  at the age of 40..... a world record holder, and will be missed by many in the cycling world..

so much for keeping fit...

seems to me the keeping fit is bad for your health.....

Me?  I`m 3 score years and 10 + 

Hated sport at skool... would do anything to get out of it    likewise P.T..  or swimming,... running cross country seemed to me to be a punishment, more than anything... who enjoys running around in shorts, when it`s almost freezing, and there is a dampness in the air, getting stung by the last crop of nettles,...grazing your shins on stupid stiles, twisting your ankle as you turn around a sharp corner... get your plimmy`s soaking wet.. and your sox and feet, covered in wet mud..  WHOT !

Never been inside a gym.... don`t do any exercise, unless absolutely necessary... e.g. get out of bed... make a cup of tea... the sit in front of laptop all day.. get up occasionally to make more tea.. .. you know... that kind of exercise is pleasurable ! ! !..

During my 3 score years and 10 +   I have only been in hospital for two minor operations... nothing to do with health problems...  I used to smoke up to 30 a day..when in the navy... and for 20 years afterwards.. 3 years to wean my self off them... and havent smoked for about 25 years..

Very rarely do I suffer from ailments... no creaky joints..  no breathing difficulties...  reasonably fit...  weight is just about 14 + stone... mind you ,... I do look as though I`m 8 months preggars on a side view... but hey.... I`m not THAT bothered about my looks at my age !>!>

If I get a cold, it`s usually cleared up after a couple of days under the duvet... with 4 hourly anadin orginals !.

and that`s me....  FIT ?  depends on your score sheet I suppose..

16 REPLIES
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Keep Fit ! Ha Ha !

I had one of those 'health m.o.t's' recently at the doc's, and was shown the door in less than 5 mins. "You should keep off fatty foods including cheese" he said. My reply was "Try eating pizza without cheese on it, tastes awful".

Then came the age old question.. "Are you getting your 5 a day?" Well, I couldn't help myself with that one. "If you think I'm cutting my meals down to 5 a day you are very much mistaken" Needless to say, he wasn't pleased (or amused) and promptly said "See you in 12 months, goodbye".

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Likely to be down to your genes.

swmbo makes sure I get plenty of exercise, no sooner finished one thing and there is something else needs doing, not sure which was worse, running around the local park in shorts in the middle of winter during my school days or getting earache until the never ending list of jobs is done.

Smiley

Community Veteran

@gleneagles I`ll take the earache.... i can take my hearing aids out, and won`t hear a thing.... Cheesy

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I must be like @shutter ,s story 63 yr old , in my formative years played lots of sports even played Hockey for the RAF team Smiley

Regular exercise always , i did smoke for a few years after i left the RAF worked in heavy engineering the Bang !!!! 6 years ago my first heart attack , now i like shutter sit here most of the time put on 2 stone Nice beer belly Smiley 

Dr says its in my Gene,s so exercise made no difference to me

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

"Sorry to bother you Doc, but I have something that's hereditary"

"Oh yes?..what is it?"

"A bad case of the 'runs'"

"But that's not hereditary"

"It must be, it's in my jeans (genes)"

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
DaveyH
Seasoned Pro

shutter wrote:

Eat this. don`t eat that... .. keep your body in trim..... look after your body... you only got one... do lots of exercise...go jogging... join a gym... don`t smoke... don`t drink...  ( don`t go out with wimmin ....well, maybe not that one ! ! !  ).. All the usual stuff about keeping fit and healthy, drummed into us. day after day....

My Brother in law, was ex-army tank mechanic... he kept fit... in the army.. doing all the usual stuff, including heavy lifting as part of his work..  came out.. and went to work in a HGV main dealership, doing pretty much the same thing... used to cycle 5 miles to work, in the morning... anf 5 miles back home have a light meal, then go out for another 10 to 15 mile ride  before settling down for the evening...

One day he was found  dead from heart failure... fell of his bike on one of his evening rides.  He was only 45 yrs old...

so much for keeping fit.....

Reading the papers... I note another "keep fit" cyclist has died suddenly,  at the age of 40..... a world record holder, and will be missed by many in the cycling world..

so much for keeping fit...

seems to me the keeping fit is bad for your health.....

You are Donald Trump  AICMFP Wink

Community Veteran

@DaveyH It is against The Forum Rules, to publish personal insults....

Please remove it....

Thank you. Angry

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Live your own lives, the nanny state is not actually your nanny... Crazy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

My wife came back from the doctors the other week with the instructions to eat 'Five a day'. Now 5 peas Day is nothing , 5 sprouts is ok (Windows open), 5 carrots (depending on their size) is do-able. We haven't got a pan big enough for cabbage, THANK GOD!!
Community Veteran

Further to my original post..... some people, closer to home, have health issues....   Son-in-law... works as a landscape gardener... turfing, slabbing, fencing earthmoving ( with pick and shovel ) etc... so you would expect him to be "fit"... he has high blood pressure... may suffer from blood clots, so is on a high dosage of warfarin... he is obsessed with his body dynamics, so he has built a big chalet ( did all that himself ),.. and uses it as a fairly decently equipped gym. (twice a day).  he eats special dietry foods... and always seems to be suffering from a cold, or some other problem..   Missus, also suffers from many medical ailments... takes lots of tablets every day... is careful about food with too much fat or salt, eats lots of fruit, etc etc..

makes you wonder......  why I am still going strong.... never bothered about fatty foods. love pork pies, pasties, have two sugars in 6 mugs of tea a day... eat all sorts of stuff that is "bad for you"... and don`t suffer medical problems !..

Fixes: 225

I look forward to these government warnings and food research results as it gives me more stuff to tryWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I suspect that what we are told is good for us to eat is also good for someone's pocket or career. People change recommendations change.

It's probably only a matter of time before we are told eating five plastic bags a day is good for us.

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Our dog ate a piece of greaseproof paper and it duly came out the other end intact.  Had my dog been Lassie, or some other famous canine, I could probably have got a lot of money for that piece of paper at auction.  Authentication might have been a problem.

Community Veteran

billnotben wrote:

I suspect that what we are told is good for us to eat is also good for someone's pocket or career. People change recommendations change.

It's probably only a matter of time before we are told eating five plastic bags a day is good for us.

You might be on to something there.

Eat what you like, zero calories ! just put the selected food in small plastic bags before consuming it.

Daft idea, of course it is but there are a lot of daft folk out there who will swallow anything !

Must remember to order some bags before advertising on ebay.

Wink