Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Justice has been served at last - in my opinion

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Justice has been served at last - in my opinion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-34993002
Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius has been found guilty of murder after a South African appeals court overturned an earlier manslaughter verdict
South Africa's Supreme Court of Appeal ruled that the lower court did not correctly apply the rule of dolus eventualis - whether Pistorius knew that a death would be a likely result of his actions.
Reading the ruling reached by a panel of judges, Justice Lorimer Leach said that having armed himself with a high-calibre weapon, Pistorius must have foreseen that whoever was behind the door might die.
Pistorius' lawyer argued that he believed that there was an intruder in the house but the judge said that the identity of the person behind the door was irrelevant.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Justice has been served at last - in my opinion

Good.
I could never understand why he was charged with manslaughter.
Women.. yes they can annoy the hell out of you but thats no excuse to go and shoot one. Whatever was wrong with that relationship, it was certainly him. Normal people don't pickup a gun and shoot someone - no matter how much you get wound up by them.
My only hope is that he is now jailed for a very long time.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

Justice at last for his girl friend.
Don't think many of us believed the pack of lies he told in court.
Community Veteran

+ 1
Geoff,
York.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

+2  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: 7up

he was charged with murder but found guilt of manslaughter, because it wasn't deemed to be pre-meditated by the jury.
murder has to pre-meditated, whereas manslaughter isn't.
he never denied shooting her, just that it wasn't a pre-meditated attack.
the jury decided that it wasn't pre-meditated and thus the charge of manslaughter was applied.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

and watch him challenge the ruling under the mental competency legislation, the conviction for manslaughter was sound but it was pretty clear from the original trial they couldn't sentence him for murder quite early in the trial due to the long history of mental illness and the fact the local police department still let him have a personal permit for weapons.... this wont be the end of the matter, either there will be a full retrial or the constitutional courts will rule this was a mistake/
I don't know I if I believe he was unaware of who was behind the door, I rather suspect that being mentally unbalanced he was telling the truth in the court about that and at least half of the witnesses were clearly lying (as was ably demonstrated by the defence team), but then he clearly wasn't telling the truth about other matters so he harmed his own trial, of course if his lawyers were doing their job properly the various unrelated cases he was on trial for should have been separated trials rather than allowed to be heard alongside each other as a single case.
the big problem is in Pretoria its legal to kill an intruder but not a guest or inhabitant, the "unknown" factor cant be proven either way and the posturing over legal definitions is really just for show, theres a lot of things he should have done differently if he didn't know it was her in the bathroom like check to see if she was still in the bed, although if it was an intruder alerting them to the fact he was aware of their presence would represent a bigger danger than just shooting them .....
I rather suspect her killing was an accident rather than a malicious act but no matter her uncle will still make more money out of this and the rest of her family will still be forced to relive her death and suffer further emotional stress and harm because of it/

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: chenks76

he was charged with murder but found guilt of manslaughter, because it wasn't deemed to be pre-meditated by the jury.
murder has to pre-meditated, whereas manslaughter isn't.
he never denied shooting her, just that it wasn't a pre-meditated attack.
the jury decided that it wasn't pre-meditated and thus the charge of manslaughter was applied.

She didn't lock herself in the toilet for nothing though did she. I reckon that had a massive spat, he got violent, she went to hide in there and locked herself in for safety and he's gone and got the gun.
When you're a couple living by yourself do you really feel the need to lock yourself in the toilet away from your partner? - It's nothing you've not seen before is it. Yes you might close the door but lock it? No.
That girl was scared, he knew exactly what he was doing.
Community Veteran

i lock the door when i'm going to the toilet (for a shit), so to say that someone locking the door must be scared or hiding is nothing more then hearsay.
we don't know the girl was scared, that's pure conjecture.
it's also conjecture that they had a "massive spat", and that she "went to hide in there for her safety".
the jury heard the evidence and decided that was not the case.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I fail to understand why you keep saying that he was tried by a jury - he wasn't  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/oscar-pistorius-trial-no-jury-for-athlete-just-a-sing...
Judge Masipa will be assisted by two “assessors”, legal experts who can come from varying backgrounds, often solicitors. There will be no jurors. Trial by jury was abolished in South Africa under apartheid in 1969
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Certainly agree with previous posts that this chap was guilty of murder.
I wonder if it is similar to here where there is a minimum term in jail for murder but no maximum.
Community Veteran

i lock the door when i'm going to the toilet (for a [Censored]),

Yes but like me, you suffer from paranoia. The only difference is that I can admit it because I'm not scared of the stigma. For the record, there are a LOT of paranoid people out there - it's the way this country works that drives people to extreme ways of thinking.
There is no real need to lock yourself in the toilet if you live by yourself or with a partner. Yes if yoh have kids or other members of the family thats fair enough but in an all but empty home that you live in by yourself or with a partner, why would you?
the jury heard the evidence and decided that was not the case.

What jury? - As OldJim has pointed out, there wasn't one and trust me, OJ tends to know his stuff and examines things in very fine detail. If he tells you something, it's gospel. So again, what jury? or are you making stuff up to try and prove a point based on your false facts?
Community Veteran

Yes but like me, you suffer from paranoia. The only difference is that I can admit it because I'm not scared of the stigma.

i deem that as a personal attack.
i will be reporting your post.
you continually say this, and you even resorted to PMing me as well in the past. i deem that as bullying.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
I fail to understand why you keep saying that he was tried by a jury - he wasn't  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/oscar-pistorius-trial-no-jury-for-athlete-just-a-sing...
Judge Masipa will be assisted by two “assessors”, legal experts who can come from varying backgrounds, often solicitors. There will be no jurors. Trial by jury was abolished in South Africa under apartheid in 1969

whilst it's not a jury in the same sense as what we have here, it's still a jury of people making a decision based on the evidence presented.
here it's the panel of "12 good men and true" that make the decision with the judge applying the sentence.
in SA the jury and the judges are the same people.
Community Veteran

Yes but like me, you suffer from paranoia. The only difference is that I can admit it because I'm not scared of the stigma.

i deem that as a personal attack.
i will be reporting your post.
you continually say this, and you even resorted to PMing me as well in the past. i deem that as bullying.

I've not called you an offensive name, I've not said anything nasty to you.
All I've said is what I believe - in an honest and open manner. Yes I PM'd you about it once and got a barrage of abuse back from you!
See it as a personal attack if you want, I'm simply saying what I think - and yes I suffer from it and can admit it - it doesn't worry me so why would you take it as a personal attack? - unless... oh i better not say it  Roll eyes