Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just when you really thought it was safe

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Just when you really thought it was safe

After all the PPI calls, emails etc (not that I got any Smiley ) it seems another miss selling saga is about to pop its head above the parapet. Solar Panels!

I don't know, whatever next? Can't say I can complain about my one solitary solar panel that does the lighting (and fan) in the shed. I walk in, turn the light on and I have light. It was far cheaper than running a mains cable out to the shed. Whether it will last 15-20 years who can say. Will I care anyway! Will the company that sold it still be around? Maybe I need to keep the credit card receipt safe! You never know I might want to claim.............

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
20 REPLIES 20
Community Veteran

Re: Just when you really thought it was safe

I had a quote from a company in Nottingham about five years ago for an installation about twice as big as the one illustrated in the article. The cost wasn't much more than the PV Solar quote and they actually gave me a break-even projection - - - nearly 14 years! The only people that are making money out of these things are commercial outfits that can buy at very cheap rates and those who had them installed years ago and are still getting the original feed-in tariff. 

Fixes: 613

Apparently GAP insurance and paid for bank accounts are also coming in the spotlight.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

In ten years time it will be:-

I was told my electric car had a range of 300 miles, it would be cheap to run / charge, and would reduce the countries pollution.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@idonno wrote:

After all the PPI calls, emails etc (not that I got any Smiley ) it seems another miss selling saga is about to pop its head above the parapet. Solar Panels!

I don't know, whatever next? Can't say I can complain about my one solitary solar panel that does the lighting (and fan) in the shed. I walk in, turn the light on and I have light. It was far cheaper than running a mains cable out to the shed. Whether it will last 15-20 years who can say. Will I care anyway! Will the company that sold it still be around? Maybe I need to keep the credit card receipt safe! You never know I might want to claim.............

I once had a casio calculator with a solar panel that was purchased around 1985/6.

Around 1999 some pillock managed to break the solar panel for me. Within days the calculator was dead - the battery unable to sustain it any longer.

I expect since the 80s corners have been cut etc (on the other hand maybe not?) however that was a small tiny panel and it lasted 15 odd years if you include the date of manufacture.

I expect the panels will be fine but the cover over them (glass or clear perspex) will probably suffer more UV damage that blocks the light...

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

This really does say it all:

screenshot-1008

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@7up 

I saw that in the news and thought I must have misread it.........I would have thought anyone who was the director of a company that went bankrupt would not be allowed to set up any other business or even provide paid advice for a number of years.

I have always stuck to the policy of anything new......let others buy it first.....if it turns out to be a bargain with no long term problems and you want it fine, if not then you are not stuck and likely end up losing money.

It comes down to that often repeated saying, 'If it sounds too good to be true.......

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Never sold on that solar panel business as it just seemed to good to be true and any returns (even if true) were just to far away to be of benefit even when we first mulled it over some twelve years back.

Add to that our cottage had/has a newly laid Welsh slate roof front and back, and there was no way on Gods good green earth we were going to have that all covered with panels fitted by guys wearing clonking great boots up and down roof on ladders. 

Not at that price and not at any then subsidy. 

Are we going to be bamboozled in a similar way with electric cars?

Community Veteran

I've always known these solar panel arrays were a scam, for one you had to use FITS approved inverters to feed into the grid, meaning you couldn't use a "Islanding" inverters that were basically a whole-house solar-charged UPS, where if the power failed, you still had charged batteries to keep your lights on. Then of course there were the financial returns, initially you got some rather cushy cost per kWh rates which for early adopters were a benefit to their bills, but as the years rolled by and the Green Deal was swept under the rug by the successive conservatory party governments, those rates went down so low that you may as well just unplug the arrays for all the financial good they're doing...

Personally, if I were to have a roof-array, I'd rather have totally separated and nothing to do with the grid, given there are people comfortably living off-grid with such things it makes better sense, yes the initial installation costs will be high, and maintenance of the batteries, whatever technology is used, will be required over time, but, no real worries about bills, no "Standing charges", just power from the roof provided by ol' Sol... Smiley

But as it stands, I'm in no position for such a thing, at the moment I have a 20W panel sat in my window keeping an ex-car battery charged (not ideal tech for solar, but it was free!), and that keeps most of my bedroom lights on when I'm awake at night, and with the use of an inverter I have some small short-term backup "mains" power if need be... Smiley

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Same here if I could afford it and if I had an electric car that I could charge up with it as the panel would be positioned elsewhere and not on my roof - but only if more than a few grand dropped out of the sky one morning!

Car not charged up yet? Easy peasy, we'll not go anywhere... or catch a free bus ride.

Minesapint
Pro

Never been sure about the real benefits of solar panels, wind farms, or electric cars.

Taken in isolation, they seem OK, whether the emissions saved really balance out in the end is another matter.

It's all too "nice" somehow, with a perfectly reasonable answer for everything. 

Too many people making too much money out of it. . .

Not real money but subsidies and grants because various governments have yet again signed up to the "Emperor's New Clothes"

None of it's going to save the planet anyway.

Now excuse me, but I have some textile machinery to smash up. . .  

Highlighted
RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@Minesapint wrote:

Never been sure about the real benefits of solar panels, wind farms, ...

Now excuse me, but I have some textile machinery to smash up. . .  

Well if in your 'smashing' occupation you come across any solar arrays that require disposal, you could kill two birds with one stone by re-purposing them as fence panels and stop some of that pesky wind!  Wink

Minesapint
Pro

@RobPN No thanks Rob, I've already got a lovely fence made of electric cars with defunct batteries turned on their sides.

Keeps "The Walking Dead" out don't you know! Crazy

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke wrote:

I've always known these solar panel arrays were a scam, for one you had to use FITS approved inverters

For me it was nothing to do with that.

The moment the words "government grant" were used in conjunction with solar panel sales the con was on - the big businesses that could con anyone would be all over it as usual.

Who really wants to fork out for something that will pay for itself over 20 years? - Come on!!! Very few people are going to want that expense hanging over their heads for two decades but sure enough, the things were being sold with these guestimates which made having them rather pointless.

I'm not against solar panels, I certainly believe we need more of them however when big business is charging stupid money for them when they're already being supposedly subsidised then something is very wrong.

Fixes: 613

I'm not sure the panels even last 20 years.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'