cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just treated myself to a halogen oven

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Just treated myself to a halogen oven

I was going to buy a JML ( 10 litre ) one at Argos for £44.99 ( reduced from £59.99 ) It was just going to be the oven and two racks  and nothing more. But as a noob I thought It was a steal, Until I done my research. The bulb blows and Is not easy to replace, Sparks In the lid, Bulb protector going rusty, Rubbish customer service and a few other things.
Then I found one on Amazon for £39.99 ( 12 litre ) ( reduced from £89.95 )And It comes with everything Inc a spare bulb that Is easily replaceable. 128 page Recipe Book,  A Two year warranty !  1 x Set of Tongs 1 x Low food grill 1 x High food grill 1 x Baking Tray 1 x Steamer Tray 1 x Oven Height Extender Ring 1 x Lid holder 4 x skewer forks and good customer service apparently, People have rated this Halogen Oven at 4 and a half stars out of 5 and Its roughly 647 customers. Apparently this Is the second model Of this oven from the seller, I think first one was just that the bulb was also a nightmare to replace.
And It was featured on come dine with me. So If you are on the market for one perhaps you should do your research on these before going and buying one, I am so glad I did. Smiley
20 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Re: Just treated myself to a halogen oven

I have an halogen oven (over 2 yrs) along with a multitude of kitchen gadgets, and i must say its the best kitchen gadget i have ever bought.
I find i can cook some things in half the time then a regular oven, no heat up time and less electricity usage than a regular oven , and joints of meat taste much more juicy and tender when cooked in the halogen, so win win . Smiley
When cooking joints of meat i always use the extender ring and the low rack.
I tend to cook sausage , bacon, chops, chicken breasts etc at about 180 degrees, if given a set temperature i always go 20 degrees lower.
Happy halogen cooking Smiley
Can you post the link to the one on Amazon please Smiley
Regards
Mike
Mike
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hi Mike
Thanks for the tips, Done my first thing In It last night ( cottage pie ) and noticed It was browning really fast so I stuck the extender ring on and turned the temp down, Going to take a bit of getting used to but I can certainly see the benefits Of it.
Here Is the Link you requested...
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for the link Smiley. one more tip when cooking sausage and bacon on the wire rack (i use high for this) if you put water in the bottom, when the bowl is cold, the fat will be on top of the water, making it easy to scoop the fat out , and makes washing the bowl easier to.
Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

No matter what you buy on Amazon there are mixed reviews and in almost every case the reviews are positive on this product but if some on the negative views are correct (1 Star) then it's a bit of a worry.
Would be interested to know how you get on with this item and would be interested to hear your views after 6 months or so of use as I would be interested in getting one.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hi gleneagles
I will gladly come back In six months and let you know how Its going ( If I can remember ) I am actually testing out customer service as we speak and I am going to be using this rather than my cooker oven so this will certainly be used almost daily. Yes some of the 1 stars are scary but compared to what I read about the JML and because of what you get with this one I decided on this, Postage and packing was £8.00 but that was It delivered to the door and cost me just £3.00 more than the Argos one but the build of this one was what swayed It for me, Well that plus the warranty and accessories and the fact I can change the bulb.
Fixes: 125

Couldn't sleep the other night so ended up with one of those shopping channels on and they were talking about a halogen cooker.
They seem a good idea. We have a very slow standard cooker and it seems that SWMBO has to start cooking the Sunday roast on Fridays. Well, bit of an exaggeration but you get the drift.
Will show her the link and see what she says.
Oh, importantly...

.. can you cook a rice pudding in it ? Cheesy Grin

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Thanks for that and the link.
Must admit the 2 year Warranty sounds good, even if it went kaput after 2 years of regular use you would still have got your money's worth out of it. Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
Couldn't sleep the other night so ended up with one of those shopping channels on and they were talking about a halogen cooker.
They seem a good idea. We have a very slow standard cooker and it seems that SWMBO has to start cooking the Sunday roast on Fridays. Well, bit of an exaggeration but you get the drift.

The key to a good roast is getting a good piece of Beef and cooking it as slow as possible !
Fixes: 125

SWMBO wonders how you would cook a full Sunday dinner with it (meat, roast potatoes, Yorkshire pud, etc.).
Does everything have to be cooked separately?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

How do these compare in speed of cooking terms to a combination oven/microwave setup?
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Got one a year+ ago from poundstreacher. Just the basic one no extender etc, but it was only £30. Used it for roasts etc, but prefer my Lean Mean Oven for roasts - makes a lovely roast chicken etc in it. (up to 1.5Kg) But roast pots & yorkies in the halogen are bootifull.
I got it for use in my caravan as we were paying for the electric on site, but gas was extra so this and a slow cooker for meals when we are in the van.  Grin
Only thing I have found is that it not keen on frozen food, defrost first if it is in a dish/tray etc - exception to this is the roast pots they are loose so cook fine.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
.. can you cook a rice pudding in it ? Cheesy Grin

Important question, no answers yet  Sad  Anyone?  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Don't see why not, depends on size of it etc.
David_W
Rising Star

So many posts on this forum reminding me of xkcd recently!  Cheesy