cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just to clear up some common misconceptions.

Community Veteran

Just to clear up some common misconceptions.

The ones that irritate me on a daily basis.
The box with with the power button that your monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. connects to is called a computer or a pc or more specifically, a base unit.
It is not called a hard drive. A hard drive is a device either 2.5 or 3.5 inches in size within your computer that stores data.
Nor is it called a CPU. A CPU is a chip that exists within your computer and does exactly what it says on the tin.
Nor is it called a server box. I am sure that in most cases the avarage desktop computer is exactly that, a desktop computer.
If anyone can think of any other stupid names they have heard please add them  Grin
36 REPLIES
paulpicks21
Grafter

Re: Just to clear up some common misconceptions.

Can't think of any personally , but the college tutor on my Cisco comptia A+ IT essentials course absolutely hates the word "Monitor"  in relation to regular PC's.
He quite ademently states they must be called VDU's (Visual display units) and that "monitors" are a totally different thing used in hospitals and such like to "monitor" things .
Makes me laugh anyway as it really gets on his nerves lol  Grin
Cheers
Paul.
Community Veteran

LoL. We all have those little things that bother us.
On a similar point a lot of people here when talking about mains sockets, thet call the socket a plug and the plug a plug top!?
If you asked me what a plug top was it would be the part of the plug that screws on to cover the connections.
scootie
Grafter

not really computer related but i hate the many names for the tv remote control.
Ive all ways knowen it to be a fliper over, but my gf calls it a doo fa (manchester girl). When she very first said pass me the doo fa i was lost as to what she wanted  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

That has also been a strange one.
My mum calls it a starting handle!!
Moominfish
Grafter

Quote from: Asbo
not really computer related but i hate the many names for the tv remote control.
Ive all ways knowen it to be a fliper over, but my gf calls it a doo fa (manchester girl). When she very first said pass me the doo fa i was lost as to what she wanted  Roll eyes

Lol, I've heard it called doo fa many times and it does my head in!, i've known people say pass me the clicker (remote) and I'm like grrrrrrrrrrrr it's a remote! And my other half says to me pass me the remote (referring to the XBOX 360 controller) and I'm like ............... It's a frigging controller not a remote! lol Cheesy
Lurker
Grafter

Dunno if it is the same, but I've lost track of the number of times I answer the phone to be told: "My Computer isn't working properly!".
Upon investigation, it generally transpires it is the user who "isn't working properly".
Not sure if its a wrong name thing, or just a complete misdiagnosis.
scootie
Grafter

do you have to stop your self saying turn it off and on to some of your customers james_g
Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

It really annoys me to hear nuclear mispronounced as 'new killer'.  The correct pronunciation is 'new clear'. 
Community Veteran

i'm more amused than annoyed these days.  it requires less energy.  one common error people make is to think that their browser is the operating system.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and that tool bar that Google and Yahoo manage to get as the home page has to be used to enter URL's
Fixes: 47

Plug Socket........It's a socket for crying out loud.
And how about Mobile for Mobile Phone ( or cell phone for Santiago Roll eyes). Isn't a mobile something that's hung over a baby's cot.....ask Asbo Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

A guy I worked with a few years ago used to say pass me that yolk which refered to whatever it was he couldn't think of the name of at the particular time.
That was until someone brought an egg in and actually passed him the yolk in a bowl when he asked. Quite funny.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Ever since my old man came across the word 'download' its all he can use when talking about certain tasks. He has never used the word ulpoad in his life, everything is 'download'.
I have downloaded some pictures to flickr (for example)
Can you download it to disc (meaning burn it to disc)
1 word, TUBE  Grin
Ben_Brown
Grafter

One that gets me is "Mac vs PC". PC just means Personal Computer, so a Mac *is* a PC.
Also people who insist on calling their desktop wallpaper a screensaver wind me up.