Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just scaremongering - I hope

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Just scaremongering - I hope

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/14/crb_checks_total_analysis/
quote from page 4 - top
Individuals who work on web sites either as moderators or controllers of the content of that site will need need to be ISA-registered where they have contact with users of the service. A recent job ad from Haringey Council required a web designer for their Young Person's internet Information site to be CRB checked.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Just scaremongering - I hope

Is this the same council that allowed child abuse to go unnoticed and  allowed a child to die?
cp:quote
gswindale
Grafter

That's the whole point of these new regulations etc isn't it?  To attempt to stop things like this happening again.
Personally, if a forum is frequented by under-18s, then the mods should be subject to any regulations applying to things such as after school clubs.
cp:quote
Community Veteran

Interesting concept.
While I'm perfectly happy to be CRB checked, I'm wondering what the difference between being a moderator and a poster on the forums is, with regards to the validity of having CRB checks done.
Will this mean that all posters will eventually have to be CRB checked before they can post?  Surely that will spell the end of overt forums and drive discussion "underground"
Another badly thought out clause, methinks.
B.
N/A

TBH, I don't see what the benefit would be.
How does a CRB check prove that the person sat at the keyboard is the person who was checked.
Works OK if its a role for which you are employed, doesn't work at all for volunteers who interact from various remote locations.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It is totally nuts, it will never work, Geeeee what next?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Being CRB checked means absolutely nothing.....  So assume I have been CRB checked..... that does not prevent me from doing the things I`m not supposed to do, does it.... I was cleared to handle Secret signals whilst in the RN, but that did not necessarily mean I would not divulge secrets.  That is a matter of conscience, and loyalty. No amount of checks can prevent harm to children, only observation of patterns of behaviour, which means that we will need to have a "watcher" at each computer station to ensure that the Mods, and Posters behave themselves..... anyway, I may well be 15 yrs old, and you would not know it...... would you?
Community Veteran

Another example of PC gone mad!