cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just saw this hit and run

Community Veteran
Fixes: 51

Just saw this hit and run

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-essex-41174459/cctv-captures-clacton-zebra-crossing-hit-and-...

My first thought was - given the speed the car was approaching the crossing and the distance it was from it when he started to cross on his scooter - how on earth did he expect the car to stop in time

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 22

Re: Just saw this hit and frun

On the other hand if the driver saw someone just about to cross he should have been slowing down - but what were they hiding by driving off?

Community Veteran

And the Green Cross Man would say "wait for the car to stop before crossing".

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Seems a six & two threes situation, guy on the scooter didn't stay put 'til the car stopped, car didn't stop (and of course sped off) with someone waiting to cross, on both counts it's ignorance of the green cross code and highway code, though the latter has a stronger punishment, especially given they didn't stop and stay put...

Fixes: 99

I saw this earlier. He seems to have had a fleeting glance to the right then just started across. It appears he had headphones on so maybe he just didn't hear/register the sound of the engine.

For the driver to just reverse away is so wrong - maybe something to hide, maybe shock?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Mav wrote:
For the driver to just reverse away is so wrong - maybe something to hide, maybe shock?

Many potential reasons, banned, uninsured, untaxed, no MOT, illegal immigrant, idiot, no sense of honour and decency, criminal record, points on the licence, could go on but CBA... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

Regardless of the pedestrians wrongs here, it'll still be the drivers fault. The motorist is always in the wrong.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 99

The pedestrian may have been guilty of being stupid by not paying attention but the driver broke the law by driving off.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 8

He was very lucky to only have minor injuries Shocked

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

from http://www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk/legal-rules-involved-traffic-accident.html

"Punishments for Leaving or Failing to Report a Road Traffic Accident

As two of the more serious road traffic offences there are severe punishments involved if the driver is found guilty. Failure to stop at the scene of an accident and failure to report an accident can both result in driving disqualifications. Both of these offences can result in the driver having up to 10 penalty points applied to his or her licence. A fine of up to £5000 can also be applied. Drivers found guilty of either of these traffic offences can also be sentenced to up to six months in prison, although this is rare."

Amandaheed
Hooked

Too many idiotic inpatient drivers
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes @Oldjim, I can see the car was going at some pace, and he (the person crossing and driver should have paid more attention). Just because it is a Zebra crossing, doesn't mean the driver is paying attention and will stop.

When I cross I look at the driver and make sure they are slowing down before I start to cross.

That looked quite horrific, lucky he got away with just minor injuries.