Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just received

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Just received

Just got a text from a friend
"If you receive an email headed -you asked for my details- delete it right away. Do not open it as I did, it has killed my PC stone dead"
Personally, I'd like to think, I would be suspicious and wouldn't open it in the first place, but you never know, I might in a lapse of concentration.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Just received

Doh,
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I suspect it is another hoax - just ask your friend where he got it from (the email that is)
jmd
Grafter

look at   http://www.f-secure.com/virus-info/hoax/ ;   - useful website!
I always check odd  warning emails on there - and always find they are a hoax!
Community Veteran

Irish honesty virus?
Community Veteran

I was not questioning the validity of my friends' analysis of the cause of his computer failure. Only passing on the info he gave me, just in case it's something really nasty.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

It may seem a bit harsh, but a good rule of thumb, 100% accurate so far in my very long experience is:
If someone sends you a virus warning, just delete it as it WILL be a fake.  Crazy
Community Veteran

Which is pretty much what I said in the OP.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Or better still............ if in doubt....... chuck it out...........
if it is that important, they will probably send a "proper" message asking if you got the first one, and include a copy for you to read.....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

anyway, Your original post said he got the e-mail and it trashed his machine, how dis he send you the message?
Community Veteran

Thank you.