cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just moved to PlusNet from Virgin Media

AzureScorch
Dabbler

Just moved to PlusNet from Virgin Media

You guys should have heard the lies VM told to try to make me stay with them, it was really quite sad.
"Your connection with us is faster"
"No it's not, it's half. This is going by actual down, not advertised. Also 10 times greater up speed."
"They only have a download limit of 40GB"
"No, that's on the small package, I'm on the larger one. It's a 250GB limit"
"But it's slower"
"No it's not"
"Yes it is, it's not fibre like ours. It's not possible for it to be faster"
"Yes it is, also it's fibre."
"But it says here you downloaded 160GB a few months ago. You'll go over the limit if you switch"
"That is below their limit, and that was a heavy month. Typically my download usage is lower"
This went back and forth for at least 5 minutes.
Any one else had experiences like this when trying to drop an ISP?  Roll eyes
Just for laughs
This was a reoccurring issue. Every few months this would happen and it'd take them a month or more to fix it each time.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Just moved to PlusNet from Virgin Media

We joined plusnet just after the days when they were known for being techie and easy going re p2p. We were in for a shock! Abysmal p2p speeds (worse than dialup) and we kept getting disconnected overnight which was the only time you could use p2p. To put it bluntly it was rather infuriating. I gave up on p2p before I even got started.
Having said that, the disconnections have become less frequent over the years and these days you can watch almost anything on youtube music wise so there is no need to even try downloading anything via p2p. I've had numerous spats with PN over things in the past from the way they hide things in their emails that are designed to look like unimportant stuff to the staff wrongfully advising us of extra costs but if you can put up with the niggles, they are a pretty reliable ISP. They certainly have a better reputation than TalkTalk and a few others like BT who were on Watchdog AGAIN a few days ago for having more complaints than any other ISP.
I'm still not overly keen on PN but there are worse out there and I've learned to live with the niggles.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

Re: Just moved to PlusNet from Virgin Media

Once I decided to leave TT I didn't give them the chance to talk me out of it...
"Why are you leaving TT"?
"It was an easy decision"
"Lets see if we can offer..."
"Can I stop you there. I've made my mind up to leave and nothing you can say will change that so how about we don't waste any more time over it?"
"How about half price..."
"Thank you for calling, have a nice day"
Hangs up phone Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still