cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just in case anyone's missing the snow...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Just in case anyone's missing the snow...

...  northern Finland this afternoon.
19 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: Just in case anyone's missing the snow...

I am certainly not missing it!!
It can stay in Finland. Roll eyes
Fixes: 102

I'm missing it. Much preferred when it was here. well, aside from the rubbish not been collected.
Will Moderate For Thanks
N/A

I'm not missing it but am intrigued to know how folk in Finland cope with prolonged periods of the stuff when we have a few weeks of it and ensuing mayhem!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A compulsory change to studded tyres in October and a network of farmers paid to clear the roads seems to do the trick!
Community Veteran

@Poppy - they are just organised and have a lot of snow ploughs. I frequently visited Jyvaskyla about 270 km north of Hellsinki both in the summer and in the depths of winter, and rarely was I delayed.
I only recall one day I woke up, looked out of the hotel window, and saw about a meter of fresh snow, but by the time I had had breakfast I was told by reception that there would be just a brief delay and my taxi would take me to my onward destination about 20km away - and it did about an hour later.
Maybe if a few more people from the UK visited in the winter ( excellent winter sports ) we would learn how they do it.
Community Veteran

I'm certainly not missing it.  Great to see the sunshine again today - first for a long time Smiley
Community Veteran

You can have both - enjoy the sun and snow and then inside for a great Finnish sauna party
Community Veteran

the biggest difference in those Nordic regions is that they do not go through the snow-thaw-freeze-snow-thaw .... cycle we tend to have here.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

I know what you mean - but not necessarily true anymore - call it global warming or something else  Wink
I first started to go to Helsinki in 1991, and that first visit was early January. The sea was frozen, but channels kept open by their nuclear powered icebreakers.
But even within ten years - Helsinki often had warmer weather and the Finns were complaining about the warm weather because of the slush etc .
I've not been back there for a few years. But at the moment it is -14 degrees so a good frost  Smiley
i actually got to really really like it. You made sure you had stout shoes, warm clothes and you just got on with life. The only thing I don't like it are the much shorter days. Light about 10am and dark before 3pm
Community Veteran

Give me sun and warmth any time over the cold.  Looking forward to my next Floridian trip shortly Smiley
Community Veteran

Trouble with the heat - is you can't dress for it so well, and you go in and out of air conditioned homes, offices, cars & hotels, I caught far more colds going to the tropics that ever I did in Scandinavia. And far far fewer bugs and nasties.
Still each to his own - live would be boring if we were all like the same things.
Only problem with Scandinavia is it is relatively expensive.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just found this interesting "Global Warning" facts
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Cough !!!
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/seasonal/winter2008_9/forecast.html
Original Winter 2008/9 forecast
Updated 25 September 2008
Met Office seasonal forecasts are expressed as variations from 1971-2000 averages. Variations from long-term averages usually affect quite large geographic areas, so the forecast for the UK is cast in the broader picture for Europe as a whole.
The mean UK temperature last winter was 1.2 °C above the 1971-2000 average and was the 9th highest since 1914. Last winter was wetter than average, with 116% of the 1971-2000 average and was the 14th wettest since 1914.
Winter, in this context, is defined as the months of December, January and February although it is recognised that winter weather can extend beyond this period, especially in northern Britain.
Forecast for Winter 2008/9
Temperature
Winter temperatures are more likely to be above normal over much of the European region. However, this winter is likely to be less mild than last winter, when above-average temperatures were widespread.
For the UK as a whole, winter-mean temperatures are more likely to be above normal. Although a winter milder than the 1971-2000 average is favoured, temperatures are likely to be lower than those experienced last year.
Rainfall
For much of northern Europe, including the UK, rainfall is likely to be lower than observed in last year's relatively wet winter. However, this signal is not sufficient to indicate whether winter precipitation totals are more likely to be above or below the 1971-2000 average.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

OK but where is your comparison chart?