Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just how large a computer do you need?

idonno
Pro
Fixes: 2

Just how large a computer do you need?

I've played around with Raspberry Pi's and the like but they tend to get pretty hot once you really start pushing them, such you need to fit a fan etc. The other day I came across and ordered up a very small Windows 10 box. This one , the 64GB version. The 32GB version is cheaper but once Win 10 has updated doesn't leave much headroom for extras. 

And you know what, I'm pretty impressed with the performance so far (have to do a very small regedit tweak to get the max). Its very small - bout 4inches square in old money. Totally dead silent in use. Hardly gets warm when running. And comes with so many USB ports etc to nearly start putting my tower to shame. I've since decided to order up a 128Gb SSD for additional storage for only £20 (connects internally). Yes, it won't play the latest ultra fast games but it will do what I need it for.

I know phones pack a punch for size but I do wonder how much smaller mainstream computers are going to get at a reasonable price. Be handy to take away too when I travel abroad - it really is that small.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
4 REPLIES 4
Community Veteran
Fixes: 24

Re: Just how large a computer do you need?

@idonno wrote:

I've played around with Raspberry Pi's and the like but they tend to get pretty hot once you really start pushing them, such you need to fit a fan etc. The other day I came across and ordered up a very small Windows 10 box. This one , the 64GB version.

. Be handy to take away too when I travel abroad - it really is that small.

Hmm.... Interesting concepte.. however... your final statement leaves me wondering whether you would be better with a small 10" laptop, as you will also need to pack a keyboard, and a monitor with your  " 4" old money, box  "

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 7

I have a Gigabyte Brix GB-BXBT-1900 which with a 256G SSD runs all I really need.11cm square and 5cm high. I have also installed one for a friend. We bolted it to the back of the TV  used as a monitor and it does everything necessary.

Rapthorne
Rising Star

I mean it really does depend on use case. A computer for basic tasks like emailing and internet browsing can get as small as a USB stick (indeed, there are several intel compute sticks with full windows OS already on the market).

You can find PCs that are as small as freeview boxes if you're prone to losing USB sticks, that are pretty cheap, as price is dependant on the components more than anything else.

Personally I'm a fan of desktops as show pieces. I'm rather fond of the current tempered glass fad that allows you to show off everything inside your system, and for anything small you might as well use a laptop. Most laptops have HDMI out ports for connecting to a larger screen anyway

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4GHz
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1060 6GB
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
Case: Red/Black NZXT S340 Elite
idonno
Pro
Fixes: 2

@shutter wrote:

. Be handy to take away too when I travel abroad - it really is that small.

your final statement leaves me wondering whether you would be better with a small 10" laptop, as you will also need to pack a keyboard and a monitor with your  " 4" old money, box  "

True, but I already have a very small keyboard and roller ball mouse. Most places I go already tend to have a TV that easily doubles as the monitor via HDMI. Only problem I have with a lot of small 10" laptops (looked at quite a few over Christmas) is they tend to be more chromebooks, requiring an internet connection to work with. They tend to cost much more too. This is all self contained. The other saving is weight. It really is light.

I'll probably do what @wisty says while at home but it won't be bolted.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?