Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just had to share this.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Just had to share this.

My nearest BT cabinet, and they wonder why we've been having problems!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
14 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Just had to share this.

It looks like it was hit by a vehicle or something? The box is literally being held together by a length of rope Shocked

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

More secure than the old Cable & Wireless cabinets, at least that one has a rope around it... Funny

Minivanman
Hero

Well it's been like it for as long as I can remember, and I've lived in this area for nine years. It's situated opposite an old bridge and I can only imagine it's been clouted by a tractor - we have lots of those around here!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Why not "share" that pic, with the Daily Mail... or your local paper... and ask them to ask BT how they can justify the profits that they are making on a "per second" basis, and also ask "what do we pay "line rental for"  ? ?    ( don`t forget to mention how long it has been like that...open to the weather, and "tampering" with by unqualified people  ..

Community Veteran

I remember back when I lived in Colne in Lancashire there was a road that went off towards the Leeds Liverpool canal, along it ran telephone cabling, and there was a point where a bundle of wires was just sat there, in the open, covered in jelly crimps, no protection at all, anyone could have gone in there with a set of shears and cut everyone off who was unfortunate to have been served by those rather naked lines, they eventually did put a steel cab over it, but it was like that for years, I guess someone did actually chop the wires and BT finally relented... Grin

Minivanman
Hero

Might be an idea but would it do any good?

I did post it in plusnet's fb site some months back but nobody seemed that bothered. BT have attended the cabinet on at least five occasions that I know of in the last six months. All that time, all that bother and all that cost for traffic lights (£600 a day according to one of their engineers) and still it's left in that condition.

Makes you wonder just what BT are all about..... which is not much by the look of things.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Minivanman wrote:

You never know until you try...... 

Community Veteran

Every time someone says why am I paying for line rental when I never use a phone.

The answer is always to pay for maintenance.

Community Veteran

billnotben wrote:
The answer is always to pay for maintenance.

Ironic, ain't it?

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Minivanman wrote:

I did post it in plusnet's fb site some months back but nobody seemed that bothered. BT have attended the cabinet on at least five occasions that I know of in the last six months. All that time, all that bother and all that cost for traffic lights (£600 a day according to one of their engineers) and still it's left in that condition.

Makes you wonder just what BT are all about..... which is not much by the look of things.

I'm amazed anyone connected to that cab has a phone service at all! Even if the local lowlife didn't rip it to pieces, the effects of the weather must mean that it's permanently non-functional.

I don't disbelieve you, @Minivanman , but surely it would be cheaper (and safer) for BT to replace the cabinet - I just don't get why it's been left like that for 9+ yearsCrazy3

John
Minivanman
Hero

Well I've tried a few things in my time and often to no avail. I could write a book about it but sometimes you just get fed up with banging the same old drum 

Minivanman
Hero

It's been like it jab1 because BT will not pay the money to locate it somewhere else - can you imagine the cost? Also, I was told by one of their engineers that the reason it has not been repaired was because it had been done a few times already (really?) and that they were not prepared to see it hit yet again. As said, it's located directly opposite an old bridge so as the tractors and trailers pull round to turn either left or right it gets clouted. 

I took a few pictures of that cabinet when they were working on it (seeing is believing) plus, I have a record of all the times it has been accessed when trying to sort out my line so yes, it is a still a functioning.

Amazing I know, but there you have it. 

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

So, @Minivanman , BT have to send engineers out on a regular basis to sort this cabinet out - which costs money - just because they can't find the money to relocate it somewhere close by to avoid it being hit?Crazy3. I'm not suggesting they relocate it in the next county - just somewhere a few yards away from it's current location, so it DOESN'T get clobbered.

John
Community Veteran

They could always stick a big concrete post in front of it.

As done for many vulnerable installations.

I can easily believe this as there has been a couple of cabinets nearby that the doors were allowed to swing open for several months. They did get fixed eventually at the same time. I assume they do repairs to set areas all at once.