cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got my Electric and Gas bill

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Just got my Electric and Gas bill

Just got my Electric and Gas bill, from Ebico.... (part of Southern Electric)...
I had an issue concerning the bill and contacted them through their "on line" message system, because I spent 10 minutes listening to " we are sorry, but all our operatives are busy at the moment, and you call will be answered as soon as possible, we appreciate your patience"..... ( wonder if they are using the same people as PlusNet customer service  ? ? ?  Undecided  )
Anyway, I sent the message and got this in an automated reply....

If you are not already paperless, why not save paper and get a discount too? Don't delay, go paperless today!
www.southern-electric.co.uk/registeronline
*To qualify you must be paying by monthly direct debit and the following tariffs are excluded:
Standard Energy Online,
energyplus Care,
Go Direct (all variants),
Price Fix (all variants except Price Fix5),
betterplan,
betterplan plus,
M&S Energy,
easywarm,
Woolwich Domestic Heat,
EDN,
Airmiles Super,
NSPCC,
Severn Trent,
energyplus
BA Airmiles,
RSPB energy,
EBICO customers
and all prepayment meter customers.

MY BOLD and my setting out....    so not many people can save money......
I`m off to Moneysaving expert email, to join up with their "energy club"  or something... and see if I can get a better deal......

10 REPLIES
Razer
Grafter

Re: Just got my Electric and Gas bill

Ebico are not part of Southern Electric. Southern Electric are simply the supplier partnered with Ebico for your area.  Good luck with your search, Shutter, but I doubt you'll find another supplier who won't charge you a standing charge for both your gas and electricity.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I knocked up a spreadsheet to calculate the costs a few years ago, I made allowance for standing charge vs none. I on one WITH a standing charge as the house is never empty, but the yearly cost was the lowest.
I started with my yearly usage (KWh etc) and took the unit cost + overheads to calculate my costings. (The old first nn units @ x then y for the rest was factored in as well)
Community Veteran

Well, Just been on the moneysaving expert, energy club , and they come up with 30 cheaper tariffs !... the best one is a fixed rate until 2014 which could save me £214 per year...  ( and that is with Southern Electric  Cheesy  )however, this is on a "rough guide" assessment, based on a 2 bed house with medium use....
I have my current bill, but this does not relate to the annual usage in KwH... so it is difficult to be accurate..
Think I will have to do a bit more research... but it is interesting...... !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

They say that Divorce or moving house are some of the most stressful things you can do, perhaps they should put reading your energy bill should be included near the top of the list.
Community Veteran

@shutter, if you call your existing supplier they should be able to give you your annual usage so that you can compare tariffs with other companies.
Community Veteran

Good Idea.... but.... read my original post ! !

I spent 10 minutes listening to " we are sorry, but all our operatives are busy at the moment, and you call will be answered as soon as possible, we appreciate your patience"..... ( wonder if they are using the same people as PlusNet customer service  ? ? ?  Undecided )

I wrote them an email, asking them to provide me with the 3 cheapest and best tariffs for me , based on the information they have over the past 5 years.... ( subtle hints in there that I might be tempted to move on, if they don`t ! ! !)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Changed suppliers a few times but in my opinion the whole system is a con.
What's the best deal this month will be replaced by some other company next month.
Changing companies is not always easy, although it should be. The press is full of complaints from people who have changed suppliers from those who get no bills for several years to those who get charged by both companies.
I Simply don't need the stress !  Wink
Community Veteran

@shutter, Eon provide an 0800 number so there's no cost in holding on for them to answer.  Also open until 8pm and on Saturday.  I generally find a call in the evening gets through without delay.
Community Veteran

The cost, is my time.... dear boy !... just get so fed up of some recording telling me how concerned they are about me having to wait... and how it says "thank you for your patience"... how schmultzy and how insincere it sounds.... esepecially more insincere the longer you have to wait.... ... no, not my idea of customer service...
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The last time I called British Gas the recorded message warned that they were busier than usual and that it may take an extended period to be connected. They offered the option of ringing me back. I opted to stay on the line and was answered within a few minutes. I was quite impressed. Account enquiries is on an 0800 number so the call was costing nothing. It's good to see that at least some of the huge profits have been well spent.