Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just for fun

HelloDuck
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Just for fun

Tippex 

I find Tippex useful to mark the top of a USB lead where it fits into the mobile phone or wall point on the black lead it makes it easy to make sure it going in correctly

HD

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Good tip... pex. 👍

Mind you, who has the stuff any more? I use a marker pen, but only on the white ones of course.😋

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I do have some Tippex .. noticed it today funnily enough.

We could start another thread titled - 'Cor I am getting old, back in my day we did this ....'.

I can start:

• Used typewriters. Useless information I know, but you can type 'typewriter' wholly on the top of a querty keyboard. Is that an urban myth it was designed so that commonly used letters didn't jam it?
  • Put 10p in a phone box to make a call - pre mobiles of course.
  • Touch a CRT tube, did that when I was a kid as my dad used to repair them and left one hanging around. That was shocking (literally), cor did I get a nasty kick out of that. 

Sure I'll think of some more, but don't want to bore everyone for now. 😛

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I used to consider someone old if they'd used a typewriter or actually dialled a phone number on a dial.  Typewriters are now making a comeback among the young; I doubt mobile phones will come with dials any time soon though.

I remember putting 2p in the slot to make a call from a phone box.

3p first class stamps and 2½p second class

£1.03 for a bottle of Martini; no idea why I remember that one specifically

4p London bus fare (not sure how far it would take you)

5p King's Cross to Paddington on the tube (ticket machines that were so unsophisticated that there had to be one machine for each value)

Passports with the personal details written by hand and only the photo was under a plastic coating

TV with three channels - at least you were likely to meet someone at work the next day who'd seen the same programmes as you, hardly ever happens nowadays

ITV showing a short film of the royal family wandering about their garden while the national anthem was playing before the end of the day's programming at about midnight

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Jonpe wrote:

I remember putting 2p in the slot to make a call from a phone box.

Before decimalisation it used to be 4d, press button A if the call was answered, or press button B to return your 4 pennies if not answered.

I also remember those old red phone kiosks used to have a small mirror on the 'wall' which, combined with the fact that there was a removable light bulb operated by a spring loaded toggle switch, meant that you could plug an electric shaver in and have a tidy-up if you were out and about hitch-hiking or camping.  I don't know what the mirror was really there for, and you had to keep your toe on the switch to hold it down to provide the power.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Only fares from back in the day I can remember was a 1/- (one shilling) return rail fare from East Croydon to Victoria. Bus fares were only pennies of course and when bus conductors had those punch ticket machines.

b5ae00d339d555247dcaf183a212fed9--dublin-photo-photo-photo (2).jpg

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

The ticket machines I remember being used by bus conductors had a handle that had to be wound in order to produce the ticket.  The machines were not able to produce just any amount so sometimes you'd get several tickets to make up your fare.  A group of us were travelling once and the 36p fare was made up of four 9p tickets so our little group ended up with most of the paper roll from the ticket machine.