cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just been to the dentist

Community Veteran

Just been to the dentist

OK, so today I had my first full dental examination in over 10 years. A mixture of fear of pain, expense and plain stupidity stopped me going earlier!
I went because I have one tooth right at the back that almost completely fell apart quite quickly after an old filling fell out.
This is the treatment that has been recommended to me and the total cost:
For the tooth that I have problems with (as I want to keep it), root canal treatment and a crown.
A couple of small new and replacement fillings in other teeth.
Removal of my two top wisdom teeth as I do not have bottom ones which is causing the top ones to continue moving downwards which I am told will cause problems later.
I have been given a total cost of about £600 over a period of about 7 months for all this work. Most of this is just for the one tooth as I really do not want it removed.
Does this pricing sound about right or am I been ripped off?
51 REPLIES
Lurker
Grafter

Re: Just been to the dentist

Sounds about right for a private dentist - the good news though (if there is such a thing) is that once you get to 'dental health', you can enrol on a dental scheme which will cover you for everything except dental laboratory work, cosmetic works, and a small excess for root canal work.
I pay around £30/mth for me and the Mrs to go to the dental hygenist 4x a year and the dentist 2x a year, with any work that needs doing being free*
Not cheap, but helps you to spread the cost and saves nasty surprises. (Also includes travel/emergency cover too)
Community Veteran

My dentist did talk about this to help with the price of the crown in about 6 months (and treatments after that). He said that I would have to prove my commitment to dental health over the comming months before he would enrol me.
techguy
Grafter

You just reminded me have a check up coming up.
Am registered with one of those rare things, an NHS dentist but they still charge me £21 for 5 minutes swinging a mirror round my mouth.
Lurker
Grafter

You've done the hard part I guess, in getting over your fear and going the first time - now its just a case of keeping going (and obviously the financial question)
Some private dentists also do interest free credit on some things, although these days they might not be as keen to do so - might be worth asking if there are any options to spread the cost though.
itsme
Grafter

I believe that I pay less than that for an examination and I'm private.
Community Veteran

Each appointment is paid for on the day so the cost is well enough spread anyway over several months.
Community Veteran

Somewhere along the way I must have missed something. What is it again that I am paying tax and NI for? Huh
Simon_M
Grafter

Crowns are very expensive.
If it's right at the back & can't be seen in normal speech, is it too far gone to 'fill'? I know it wouldn't be a filling in the normal sense, because there won't be much of a hole to file above the gum line if it's collapsed completely, but I've got a couple that are considerably more filling than tooth! They would have to be crowned if they were at the front & easily visible, but mine are pretty well back & out of sight.
Community Veteran

The price sounds about right for NHS!  
My whole family are with Denplan we pay about £30 per month for 4 of us.  The amount depends on what level your teeth are at to start with.
It includes all fillings  etc, but you have to pay for any lab work (I had a crown fitted a few months ago and it cost about £100)  Denplan also includes an amount for facial surgery in case of sports accident etc.
We really didn't have a choice. Our dentist said he was opting out of NHS work, because it didn't give him enough time to do the job right.  For the money he'd get, he could only spend a few minutes with each patient, whereas  Denplan allows him the freedom to spend longer and take the time to talk to patients about their teeth and the treatment needed.
Having said all that, the last time I had a crown fitted ( a few years ago), my sister-in-law had to have one as well.  Her dentist was NHS and charged her around 10 times what I was being charged!
I know it's a few quid each month and it adds up, but I can be sure that most times I go to the dentist I'll need a filling or two replaced, and even on the NHS, you have to pay for that.
John
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Sean
Somewhere along the way I must have missed something. What is it again that I am paying tax and NI for? Huh

Was this private or an NHS job? Not that there's much difference these days & that's assuming you can even get on an NHS list.
Community Veteran

This was private. There is no NHS dentists left in my area and even if there was would I not be waiting until retirement for an appointment?
techguy
Grafter

Took me a couple of years to find one again after I hadn't been for about 5 years.
Simon_M
Grafter

It's another postcode lottery I'm afraid. This area was fine, then it became impossible & now it's back to being merely difficult. It is possible to get on lists round here now, just . To be fair, once registered, they seem pretty good about getting you in. It is a bit of a conveyor belt experience though.
techguy
Grafter

Agree with that Simon
Will have a look at dental insurance I think as to be honest am not happy that the dentist I see is as thorough as she could be.