Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Just because: Scone!

How do you pronounce it?
49 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Just because: Scone!

Scone rhyming phone, if it was the other way its spelling would be; skon. Much the same with the Buckinghamshire town of Beaconsfield, some insist on pronouncing it Bekonsfield
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Yep, I agree it's Scone rhyming with phone Smiley
Fixes: 47

Quote from: artmo
Scone rhyming with phone Smiley

...or cone as in traffic cone. If it was traffic con then that's something else entirely...and the subject of numerous other threads. Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
geewizz
Grafter

Scone is pronounced Skoon.
If you mean "scone", the noun not the pronoun, then it is a Scots word and is pronounced with a short vowel.
In summary, Scone is a place in Perthshire and rhymes with moon, scone is a type of bread and rhymes with Ron. Anyone who reckons that it rhymes with phone is welcome to come up to Scotland and learn how to pronounce Scots words, and we'll even teach you how to roll an R.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Only  "posh" people pronounce it "skone"..... it is a well known fact that it is the fastest food in the world....... `s gone!
As a comparison.... If you sit on the GRASS do you sit on your ASS  or your A*s*?  Shocked  Roll eyes
Also do you have a Barth or a Bath?  (exclude persons who only have showers in the reply) Cheesy
Community Veteran

Maybe we should ask the Plain English Campaign for their advice - look what they did for Tesco Wink Wink
Community Veteran

You people who pronounce scone = phone probably call barmcakes = baps (Translation for the Sheffield lot = Breadcakes)
Shutter is right scone = s'gone
geewizz
Grafter

I've just initiated The Plain Scots Scone Campaign. If anyone else wants to join, I've decided that the first AGM will be held in El Salvador in December. get your names down for the bus ASAP.
Community Veteran

Definately scone to rhyme with gone.  To use the to scone/phone analogy is as relevant as the bath/barth thing.  Why is it English people have such a problem pronouncing an R where it exists, but insist on putting it in, when it doesn't.
I have a managu who will tell you that he has something in his left hand draw (and even spells it that way!).  And what on earth is a "drawring"? (presumably something for opening and closing curtains)  Crazy
I could go futhu, and tell you about my fathu, but he taughrt me not to be wude.
John
geewizz
Grafter

Grin Great post, John!
... and now let's all listen to a bit of music ...

Fixes: 47

No doubt some folk around here pronounce one as wun Roll eyes
Anyway my Mum taught me to call them scones as in phones and as we all know 'Mum Knows Best'  Smiley
...and to think I used to trust content in Wikipedia Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

wow.  50/50 so far!
geewizz
Grafter

Was it Scone or scone we're supposed to be voting on, Kelly?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

scone.  I'll correct!