cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just about to load the Genny into my car

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Just about to load the Genny into my car

I'm about to drive down to Plymouth with my petrol generator. It will be my gift to the Royal Navy as yet another of their meagre fleet of new toys breaks down. again. You'd think that given their limited funding they'd make sure any new equipment is properly designed and constructed.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Just about to load the Genny into my car

Given that putins aircraft carrier also keeps breaking down I'd say we finally have some common ground with him.

These new super hi tech ships are useless. We should go back to big battle ships with big canons and steam powered engines.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero

Just about sums up our current state of affairs I'd say. 

IMG_20161125_0001_NEW.jpg

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman That` s funny. !...  but also very shaming, on our governments over the past 30 to 40 years. for being so short sighted and penny pinching on our defence capability.

Minivanman
Hero

Working out what's required must be difficult in this day and age where size is not everything and although way smaller than what are now the big three, we must still be amongst the top ten I'd have thought.

And to think we once had the two power standard, how times change.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

7up wrote:
... We should go back to big battle ships with big canons and steam powered engines.

Depends what type of canon you mean; the Friar Tuck type or a camera.  I can't see that either would be much use.

PowerLee
Rising Star

Big aircraft carriers will become a liability as missile technology improves.

There are rumors the Chinese already have the missile technology to sink air craft carriers easily & the Americans are not going to risk one of there carriers.

Russia is also near to cracking the technology required.
Community Veteran

Ah but the destroyers shielding the aircraft carrier would launch missiles to intercept. If they had any.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@AlaricAdairthe "screen" used to consist of at least 3 frigates and a couple of destroyers.... with both, anti - aircraft and anti- submarine capability to shield the carrier....

that would be known as a Carrier Task Force.. 

If we did get both our (new) carriers to sea at the same time... I doubt if we would have enough Destroyers and Frigates serviceable, to roam the oceans with the carrier. We would probably be lucky to see one support ship in company.

The "protection" in the modern navy, relies on ELINT  or electronic intelligence...i.e.satellite, radar and other radio surveillence equipment, to give advance warning of attack.. ... A carrier would ( should ) be bristling with this stuff ! ! .. and be able to defend itself using its own missile systems and aircraft as necessary. ( likewise for the destroyers and frigates)....

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Ah!  But our aircraft carriers don't have ANY suitable aircraft yet?  They come in the next upgrade kit.

Minivanman
Hero

"They come in the next upgrade kit" 

And at what Maurice, one million smackers a pop?

Makes you wonder what the heck.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

PowerLee wrote:
Big aircraft carriers will become a liability as missile technology improves.

There are rumors the Chinese already have the missile technology to sink air craft carriers easily & the Americans are not going to risk one of there carriers.

Russia is also near to cracking the technology required.

The americans have also got laser weapons that can shoot down missiles. Granted it is still in its early days but what they reveal to the public is probably old news in military technology circles meaning they've probably made it reliable several years before announcing they're still working on it.

The americans unlike us, seem to enjoy constantly working on new weaponary and defence systems, they don't seem to like putting them to use though - maybe because it would show their hand?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Now the Royal Yacht has broken down as well.

Minivanman
Hero

The good news being that Harry is stranded.