cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a trim please...widened to gardening in general

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Just a trim please...widened to gardening in general

I'm on the look out for a new strimmer. I'm fed up with the plastic line cutter type that get through the line at a rate of knots leaving little bits of the line all round the garden. I've tried the Bosch Easy Trim system that uses replaceable plastic blades and found it at best useless.
I don't want the hassle of a petrol engined type, so, what I am looking for is an electric (not rechargeable) machine that uses a permanent steel cutter that is suitable for garden use rather than the central reservations of dual carriageways.
Anyone any ideas?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Just a trim please...

Because that sounds like a good idea for my garden I did a quick search and found this which seems to be the only one
http://www.screwfix.com/p/ryobi-rbc1000ex-1000w-electric-trimmer-230v/36386
http://www.tooled-up.com/review/ryobi-rbc1000ex-electric-brush-cutter-375mm-cut-width-1000w-240v/133...
Community Veteran

Thanks Oldjim. But...its spec includes bump and feed line feed, so its not entirely plastic line free. But may well a good place to start.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

It looks to include a line feed head interchangeable with the fixed blade head so best of both worlds.
I need one soon.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Those reviews are quite interesting.
During a search I did find this one: Bosch ART 35 Heavy Duty Grass Trimmer on Amazon. Although it is a plastic line feed type it uses a far thicker line than that usually found with domestic strimmers. The one review with it is brimming over with praise.

Community Veteran

@strat, I need one, sometime last week...

Community Veteran

That's a good price too Oldjim, the same is available on Amazon for £110.
Better put the order in before they change their minds.

Fixes: 47

Instruction Manual here http://fr.ryobitools.eu/local/uploaded/catalog/sav_RBC-1000EX.pdf
The English version is buried in there...it's a bit of a clunky site.
I've been using a sickle but managed to break a pane of glass in the greenhouse so something a little more subtle and controllable is called for.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I see it has a 2mm cutting line which is pretty thick
Community Veteran

Yes, that's pretty hefty compared to the 1.5mm that my current B&D uses and sheds bit of line everywhere, but is .5mm enough to make it worth while the purchase over the Roybi I wonder.

Community Veteran

That was the Ryobi - from the manual
Community Veteran

Yes, I was just about to correct that as you did. The review of the Bosch 35 suggests the line is 1.6mm only just thicker than the B&D I use now.
Sorry got to cross purposes.

Community Veteran

Ok so it looks like the Ryobi then, thanks for the conversation.
Just to widen the topic. I'm not a happy gardener. I used to be before serious arthritis of the knees made any work in the garden a painful trial of attrition of knees over weeds, with these days the weeds winning.
I once took a deal of pride in my garden, but am bluntly ashamed of it these days and am seriously considering paying someone else to look after it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Just a trim please...widened to gardening in general

@strat, I need one, sometime last week...
ScrewFix, order before 5pm today, collect after 12 tomorrow.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Just a trim please...widened to gardening in general

Quote from: Petlew
I'm on the look out for a new strimmer. I'm fed up with the plastic line cutter type that get through the line at a rate of knots leaving little bits of the line all round the garden. I've tried the Bosch Easy Trim system that uses replaceable plastic blades and found it at best useless.

Know how you feel, I spent more time replacing the line and copper furell than actually using it.
Some good links in response to your question may well get the Ryobi, I Have a power washer made by this firm and am happy with it.
jim:green quote fixed mod:end