cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Had My Car Insurance Reminder

geoffp0
Grafter

Just Had My Car Insurance Reminder

Just had my car insurance reminder in, at present I am with the AA and they qouted me £285.29 that is fuuly comp.max NCD.
Aviva wants £304
Hastings £190
Saga £154
Amazing the differences in prices, anyone else found such differences in premiums?
EDIT I forgot to mention I have my wife as a named driver, otherwise it is dearer still Roll eyes
47 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Just Had My Car Insurance Reminder

Yes and even more silly as a new customer via Direct Line it was dearer than my renewal premium from Direct Line - now that has to be a first
Fixes: 125

Are these like-for-like quotes?
Some initial quotes leave out such things as Legal, NCD & Excess Protection along with accident plans and healthcare while others include breakdown cover.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

geoffp0
Grafter

Hi Mav
Yes they are like for like quotes, the same excess payments on all of them, protected No Claims ect, I just copied everything off the present schedule to get the quotes.
Just had another in "LV" and that is £194 Undecided
Fixes: 105

My quotes were shocking this year.. up by 150 for my insurer other quotes were more than 400 more for no apparent reason.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 125

Cheapest may not always be the best if you have to make a claim.
Often worth doing a little investigating to see how well each company handles claims.
I used to work for a well known insurer in the claims department and some companies dragged their heels considerably.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: adiewoo
My quotes were shocking this year.. up by 150 for my insurer other quotes were more than 400 more for no apparent reason.
Quote from: adiewoo
I've driven round the Nurbergring a few times. crashed a couple of cars on it too.
Does your insurer read these forums  Grin Grin
Fixes: 105

probably. doh. sshhh
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Oldjim
Yes and even more silly as a new customer via Direct Line it was dearer than my renewal premium from Direct Line - now that has to be a first

Yep, i've had that too. Last year i tried Aviva and a few others but one of them quoted me over £4k. Disgusted, i stayed put with DL despite their rotten service. While i've got full comp i won't be making any claims in the future as they're too much hassle - i'll leave it down to 3rd party to deal with it if needed.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I did a phone round last year and Aviva came out best for me on car and house contents/buildings.  They also give you extra discounts if you have other policies with them.  I have my health insurance and a bond with them so that helped.
Fixes: 47

Well having just saved £400 on my Home and Contents renewal I'm taking a close look at my car insurance in a couple of months.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
David_W
Rising Star

I'm terrible for insurance, I'll shop around at every comparison website I can possibly find, confused.com, compare the meerkat.com, auto-trader, and when I find the cheapest quote I'll pop over to their website to see if they offer me a better quote than the comparison website.  On my old motorbike my insurance company wanted to raise my insurance to £200/year, which I thought was beyond a joke, shopped around and my best quote was £87 or something.  Phoned up my insurance company saying "sorry, I'm not renewing as I got a quote for £87", they decided they wanted to keep my custom and matched the quote.
Thing about insurance companies, I'll get a quote from (say) Avira for £150, I'll nip over to a comparison website and get a quote for £100, from Avira - why is it cheaper to go to a comparison website for some companies? Argh.  Oh well, got plenty of time till I have to renew, so must not grumble too much (my insurance is around £90/year, my brothers is around £200 a month hehehe)
Community Veteran

to make it more confused some companies don't appear on comparison sites.  Aviva is one of these and I think Direct Line is another although the company that own them also own a comparison site Undecided 
Community Veteran

My Car insurance with churchill increased by £30 this year taking it to just under £300 fully com,Legal protection, NCB protection. That,s on a Ford Focus Diesel 115 BHP.
Not sure if that's good or bad
Community Veteran

I'd say thats a bit steep actually. Until i had a prang in 09 causing my premium to almost double, i was paying just over £400 for a petrol car with 165 bhp. I've been driving now for about 4-5 years.
£300 for 115bhp.. you could probably get that down if you shopped around a bit more.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!