Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Junk Mail shortage !

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 53

Junk Mail shortage !

For the past few years, any junk mail delivered by the postman, has been carefully saved, in a pile, and re-delivered back to the post office via a "bulk posting"  ( about an inch or more  (25mm to 30mm) in thickness) ) in a suitably sized red letter box outside a supermarket, a couple of days before Christmas...

Unfortunately, this year, there seems to have been a severe shortage of junk mail flyposting leaflets, so the posties will not be getting their ususal christmas prezzie this year... !

Has anyone else noticed this shortage ?

7 REPLIES 7
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Junk Mail shortage !

Seem to get less, but if any it's always on a Monday for some reason.

I do feel for the postie delivering pointless posts as despite maybe having fewer letters or parcels  that day, with junk mail they have to deliver to every house. 

Not so much junk, but we still get bank statements for the previous occupants from eleven years ago - they both died five years ago. Same with our last house, and same with the house before that although just the one has now died and the other cannot be that far bend.

Gawd knows how long any mail or infornmation about myself is going to circulating after I've gone. Probably forever.   

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@Minivanman  The legend will live onThumbs_UpLaughLaugh

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yes, I don't think we got any junk mail during the first lockdown.  It's started trickling back since then but never quite got back to pre-lockdown levels.  A few years ago I mentioned the traditional Monday junkmail to one of our postmen (we seem to have a different one every day) and he said Tuesday had become junk mail day.  Most of what we get is not delivered by Royal Mail but by young lads trying to earn a few pounds.  Saturday used to be the worst day for their deliveries; sometimes three deliveries on the same day.  The most annoying (thankfully now discontinued) was The Leader newspaper which contained about a hundred pages of adverts, mainly properties for sale or to let, and a few pages of half news stories inviting the reader to buy the local paper if they wanted to know the rest.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I know it's a pain but advertising does play a crucial role in todays society. How would you know about half the stuff you own without it?

How did you know about your phone? Car? TV? Laptop? Local Kebab house?

Advertising.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yep I know a friend who works in cars, and he told me the advertising they do works.

I know when I worked for a financial company I used to produce an XML file, which was uploaded to a lettering company's FTP site (which I used to do every morning). Easy job, when there wasn't errors in the data (sometimes there was and I knew where to look).

£1.50 per letter we had to pay.

I can't remember the last time I posted a letter. Well actually I do, it is when I sold my old car a few months back. Obviously you have to tell the DVLA (*looks for a good police icon - and like the old spell checker, can't find one*) as it is a legal requirement to say 'I no longer own it, this person does'.

Did my usual of 'I must be able to do it on-line', and after a while you find you can't. So I had to do the old school approach of actually writing on a form, getting some stamps from my local Post Office and physically posting it.

Isn't it bad when you think 'How do I do this now, this takes me back'. 😀

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 53

@7up wrote:

I know it's a pain but advertising does play a crucial role in todays society. How would you know about half the stuff you own without it?

How did you know about your phone? Car? TV? Laptop? Local Kebab house?

Advertising.

Mostly, by looking for the stuff I want to buy... rather than being bombarded/pressured about stuff  I do NOT want to buy. 

Phone?  went in to town,... saw a carphone warehouse shop,... went in... asked for cheapest "smart" phone ... came out 30 mins later with one that cost me £2.99     still using it  5 years on ! ! ..

Car?... wanted a new car.. went on to local Skoda dealer`s site...saw the car.. emailed them.. bought it the next day...  (My birthday).. !

(bonus ... that was the last day when the road tax disc could be transferred with the vehicle ! so also got 9 months free road tax ! )

Laptop?... went on the Dell site.... delivered two days later.

Local Kebab house?.... YUK ! ... no thanks..  but if I wanted "fast food".. I would just go to the local chippy !.. it`s the best in town, and has awards to say so ! .

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yep true, I take word of mouth or if someone mentions something to me with of salt (who I don't know) then I might take it a bit more for granted. It means a lot of more than someone who could write (maybe) a paragraph in notepad. Massive 'inverted commas' rating) to get my vote. I go on what people do, not on what they say. as somebody once said.

Welcome to the world of a famous auction auction website, and before the PC Brigade tell me off here I won't say the name.

After going through the some and games I have been through it in real life - I only sold anything down that route three times now, two were fine and the other one wasn't.

I agree with @shutter is that I prefer to being spoken to personally if I can be. It is never easy, especially not now. So difficult for all of us.