cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Junk Mail, and other stuff

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Junk Mail, and other stuff

I have made up the following notice, and stuck it just above the letterbox.....

Please……
NO MORE JUNK MAIL
NO MORE TAKE AWAY FOOD LEAFLETS
NO MORE CHARITY COLLECTION BAGS. ETC ETC...
PLEASE USE THE BLACK BIN PROVIDED..>>>>  BY THE TELEGRAPH POLE

On the whole, it has worked quite well.... however, depending on which postie we get, depends on whether I get junk mail through the letter box...
Like most people, I used to just dump it in the waste bin. However, recently, I have started to "get my own back"...
With stuff from "obvious" random generated junk mail. addressed to "The Householder"  and other "anonymous" addressees... .. e.g. Virgin promotional media... they usually have a return address on the back.... so.. I put a big R.T.S on the front, and circle the return address, and re-post it  to them...
As for the leaflets, that postie delivers, for double glazing , supermarket flyers, etc. I just collect them together ,and.......
Re-post them... in their nice big red litter boxes...... How kind of them to supply them for disposal of the rubbish they bring to my door...
If more people did this.... perhaps the post office would get the message..... Junk mail is legal litter, and we don`t want it....
42 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Junk Mail, and other stuff

The sad thing is the number of harmless but beautiful trees that must be sacrificed for this pointless, wasteful process.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

@shutter - we do use the plastic bags as bin liners which saves us a few pennies.
Have known people to fill reply paid envelopes with other firms junk mail and pop in post box.
Always shake TV papers and leave loose junk with supermarket.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: nadger
Have known people to fill reply paid envelopes with other firms junk mail and pop in post box.

I use reply paid envelopes to send legitimate mail (new label stuck over the address), cannot remember one not arriving.
Once it is in the mail system there appears no way of checking the address against the prepayment number.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
Once it is in the mail system there appears no way of checking the address against the prepayment number.

No, but there is a billing process so do be selective whose envelopes you use.  Wink
A charity I'm involved with supplies ready-addressed prepaid/freepost envelopes to communicate with them, something I'm sure many of their beneficiaries appreciate.
But they do ask you to use a stamp if you can afford to as they don't then get billed.
Community Veteran

I'm with you on this one Shutter.  Any pre addressed envelopes get returned to sender and advertising junk goes back into the postbox.  Returning an envelope to the sender costs them a tidy sum.  They have yo open each one and process it as well as paying the postage.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

We get a lot of junk mail to our address with somebody else's name on it, this is particularly annoying as it can't be attributed to a previous resident since this was a new build for us and nobody else has ever lived at this address, nor can it blamed on a miss-delivered house number as we don't have one, but a three word name. Somehow our address has been to date allocated to 7 or 8 different surnames, its a real trial trying to get anything done to stop it.
I have a number of sheets of pre-printed labels which read:
Return to sender
Not required at this address
Addressee not known at this address
Addressee does not and never had lived at this address
Complaint to Ofcom pending
At least two of each of these are stuck on each offending envelope, care is taken not to obscure the inbound address or the "sent by" address on the back of the envelope. And just dump them back in the post box.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 125

When we moved into our current address a couple of year ago we did receive a lot of mail to several of the previous tenants even though the last people to live here were, apparently, the owners.
Initially we did post it back with 'Not known at this address'. Now we simply bin all stuff not addressed to me or Mrs Mav - and that is still around 7 to 10 letters a week!.
Having said that I really don't worry about the junk mail. It simply gets put in the bins and out with the rest of the household rubbish. To me, it seems like even more work to package it up and repost it. Perhaps that's because it's an extremely long walk to the nearest pillar box.
On the subject of posting I often leave them till I go to my mother's. There's a box in-bedded in a wall with a narrow pavement on the way with driveways either side of the wall I can park and just pop the letters in the box without getting out of the car Crazy
Edit: Got distracted by SWMBO and then posted before I had finished Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

It's obviously profitable to the companies sending out the junk mail.  I read that they rely on a take-up rate of less than 1%.
kmilburn
Grafter

I'd love to know what Virgin think they're up to.  Beyond the number of random leaflets in my local newspaper and unadressed mail, I've also received a letter to 'The Occupier' at my address every month this year.
If I didn't have a certain amount of loathing for them previously,  I would do know after being sent the same thing month in month out. 
I've oftern wondered if it's possible to sue for corporate harrasment?
Community Veteran

I just drop them all in the bin.
Far less time consuming.
Community Veteran

Quote from: kmilburn
I'd love to know what Virgin think they're up to. 

But they do know.  Their advertising people will know exactly how effective the leaflets/letters are.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Put a notice on the door regarding junk mail but it made little difference, I suspect once the walk up to the front door they think they might as well post the stuff through.
The answer is for the government to make all junk mail subject to 100% VAT on Printing and postage costs.
Vat is the simple answer !
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: kmilburn
... I've also received a letter to 'The Occupier' at my address every month this year.

I get one of those every month from TV Licensing. They seem to think it is illegal to not own a TV receiver. (Or they think I'm dumb enough to fall for that.)  Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
I Put a notice on the door regarding junk mail but it made little difference, I suspect once the walk up to the front door they think they might as well post the stuff through.

I wonder if the postman is allowed not to put certain items through the letterbox if it is given to him to deliver Undecided