Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Junk Mail, and other stuff

alanb
Grafter

Re: Junk Mail, and other stuff

That was one of my thoughs too shutter.
I must have about 40 or 50 to send back. It would probably cost them a few quid if I did one a day for several weeks. Only thing is, I don't think they'd care, it is probably like water off a ducks back to them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

If you sent them back in batches of 5, every couple of days, then someone somewhere in the organization, might just get the message... and send someone round to see you, to find out why., or to find out if you have a tv... at that point you should be able to prove you don`t and that should be the end of the matter.... if they still keep sending them... just keep sending them back... write "Junk Mail" on the front too ! ...
IanSn
Grafter

I had a phase a while back where I'd send them back in the pre-paid envelopes, with all the contents they sent me. The application (for, say, a credit card) would get 'NO THANKS' written over it in thick black marker. Sometimes I'd put a message as well, like, "My rubbish bin is full of junk mail, perhaps you could put this one in yours? Thanks!"
(edit - A lot of this mail did stop... don't know if that was a coincidence)
I was getting stuff sent to someone who used to live in the house over 15 years ago. Bank statements, etc. He'd obviously been well-off, it was all 'high-class' stuff!
But it turned out he'd been made bankrupt and had fled.
This is not good as that peice of info sticks on your address re credit rating agencies.
I chased this one up. Found (via Foxtons estate agent) the offending 'leads' database company and threatened them with the data protection agency (databases should be checked and cleared regularly). The posh junk mail stopped. Bit of a shame actually. Posh junk mail is a hoot!...
Fixes: 238

Quote from: IanSn
But it turned out he'd been made bankrupt and had fled.
This is not good as that peice of info sticks on your address re credit rating agencies.

That may have been the case some years ago but not any longer.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

alanb
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
If you sent them back in batches of 5, every couple of days, then someone somewhere in the organization, might just get the message... and send someone round to see you, to find out why., or to find out if you have a tv... at that point you should be able to prove you don`t and that should be the end of the matter.... if they still keep sending them... just keep sending them back... write "Junk Mail" on the front too ! ...

They have been here twice, to my knowledge. Once about three years ago, one of their people put a letter through my door which essentially said: we told you we would visit to check up on you, and gave the date and time. I was in at the time, but nobody rang the doorbell, so I assume that their 'investigator' as they call them bottled out for some reason.
The second time was last winter, and he got sent away with a flea in his ear. He wanted to come in to inspect my home. I told him I would not engage with an organisation that behaved so unreasonably and therefore cannot be trusted. (I was referring to the nature and content of their letters.)
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Nov 5th is looming Wink

A bonfire of 50 envelopes might be a bit disappointing Mav. Perhaps I could use them to make a life-size papier mache model of the CEO of Capita's head, for a Guy Fawkes. I'd be more inclined to post it off to them with a knife sticking in it though, which, these days, is very likely to get me arrested.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We're simple folks and have simple arrangements, we normally tip the postie at christmas, .......junk mail delivered = no tip..........postie just needs a reminder every 6 months or so. Works well.
peter10
Grafter

I am receiving a lot of mail for a person who has never lived here, particularly but not exclusively, from broadband companies. I suspect that in the past he must have contacted a firm or comparison site for a quote of some kind but didn't want to use his own address so put mine down. I am fed up of returning junk mail to TalkTalk asking them to amend their records. I've had people from Sky knock on my door asking for this person. I suppose he thinks he is clever not giving his own address. I've joined the Mail Preference Service and hope it stops a lot of the junk.
Community Veteran

Checking junk mail which arrives at your house, but addressed to another person, is actually quite important. It can be a sign that someone is committing identity fraud using your address. If that person succeeds using your address to dupe a supplier it can affect your personal credit rating when the supplier records a debt with Credit Rating agencies against your property. Often this is down to the carelessness of the supplier when they accept the dodgy order without properly checking the identity of the client. It might also mean the person is using your address to obtain credit cards using your address. I've been the sole owner of my property for 30 years and only my family have lived here. However that hasn't stopped other people duping suppliers that they live here. You are then left with the job of tidying the reputation mess left by the criminals.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
It can be a sign that someone is committing identity fraud using your address. If that person succeeds using your address to dupe a supplier it can affect your personal credit rating when the supplier records a debt with Credit Rating agencies against your property.

Happens too often!
Worth registering with CIFAS http://www.cifas.org.uk/pr_for_individuals you'll be first to know if somebody tries to use your address and can put an immediate stop on any correspondence.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Well here's a use for junk mail.. fire / BBQ lighters  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
peter10
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Checking junk mail which arrives at your house, but addressed to another person, is actually quite important. It can be a sign that someone is committing identity fraud using your address.

Thanks. This had crossed my mind and so I checked my credit file on Experian and Equifax but nothing that shouldn't have been there was showing.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Quote from: journeys
As part of our 'council tax' we receive a ‘car disc’ allowing us to park free at certain times in local town car parks (there is normally a car park charge).
What amazes me the letter this ‘disc’ is always in an envelope addressed to “the occupier”.

A number of years ago we renewed our passports through the post.
The Old Passports were returned and had to be signed for, the new Passports came in the normal Post.