cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Junk Call

Fixes: 47

Junk Call

My daughter is out of the country on holiday at the moment.
I received an international call just now and therefore picked it up.
It was one of those "We have received error messages from your computer" type of calls.
The guy asked me to switch on my computer at which point I said "just a moment" and put the phone on my desk on speaker.
I could listen to other people in the call centre directing others how to open a Command box....disable their AV...etc
He eventually hung up and then called back showing a number 0019564605604
These are BAD PEOPLE Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
6 REPLIES
RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Junk Call

Not the same number, but coincidently just as I finished reading your post the phone rang and I quickly Googled the unrecognised number (0118435999Cool.  Unfortunately the phone stopped ringing before I'd found out that it was another phone pest who would have offered me some sort of assistance in claiming from a previous employer for hearing loss caused by working in an industrial environment without proper protective equipment.
Never mind, they'll probably call back in the not too distant future and I can pretend to not be able to hear them when I answer.  I wonder how long I'll be able to keep them on the phone with that little game!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We have had several international calls recently.
The interesting thing is that they just get to say a few words and the call is terminated, I wonder if calls of this nature are being blocked by the authorities.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

I could listen to other people in the call centre directing others how to open a Command box....disable their AV...etc
When you have a Linux desktop you can really string them along by pretending to be dumb. Eventually they usually twig and ask what is the OS , when you say Linux, it's usually a rapid 'click' as they end the call Grin
Community Veteran

These 'international' calls are a nuisance as there is no point in reporting them as they can't be traced and blocked.
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've not had one for ages now. I think I've been put on a list of timewasters as I have had some fun with them.
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: MisterW
When you have a Linux desktop you can really string them along by pretending to be dumb.

You don't even need a computer to string them along, just a disconnected keyboard so they hear the tappetytap of one, the longer you keep them on the line (it's their phone bill after all!!) the less chance they have of attacking someone who is more susceptible to this kind of fraud...