cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jungle Book - Racist?

Fixes: 121

Jungle Book - Racist?

Agatha Christie and Rudyard Kipling have made Britain nation of 'passive racists', says John Barnes ...
But John Barnes has blamed authors such as Agatha Christie, Rudyard Kipling and Edgar Rice Burroughs for making Britain a country of ‘passive racists’.

The father of seven told the audience that ‘passive racism is inherent in all of us’ because of ‘preconceived ideas’ planted through books and films.

Anyone know what he's on about. Never read Jungle Book but saw the Disney version many times when my daughter was little - neither of us even gave racism a thought.
Also enjoyed the Tarzan films but, again, racism was furthest from my mind.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

10 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Jungle Book - Racist?

Beats me Huh
Some people seem determined to find racism wherever they can.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

More to the point how many modern children/young adults have actually read the books
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think it depends more on what views and environment you are exposed to as a child. I Could see some situations where a child might get the impression that a particular race was in some way superior to another.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Im a child from another era brought on Kipling and Ryder Haggard  of "King Solomon's Mines" fame
has anyone read the "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad! Its classical fiction but doesn't fit well with today's politically correct view on racism
my geography books at school were full of happy sheep farmers in Australia, lumberjacks in Canada and banana, cocoa and oil palm growers in Nigeria and Ghana!
With my "bigoted" mind I have had a successful career working in Cameroon, Nigeria, Peru, Pakistan among others and now am gainfully employed in Saudi Arabia!
My view on a lot of our younger generation is that they know and accept everything they are told about racism but have not experienced enough of the world to fully understand what is behind what they see on the media. And there is an industry dependant on not expressing any views outside the accepted dogma.  Lips are sealed
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oldjim
More to the point how many modern children/young adults have actually read the books

I understand the more appropriate wording might be "read any books"
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: PeterLoftus
Ryder Haggard  of "King Solomon's Mines" fame

Read King Solomon's Mines again recently, still has the magic!  Grin
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I doubt that those authors made Britain anything. Their writings were of their times. What was judged appropriate in the past may not be judged appropriate now and vice versa.
Community Veteran

I love Agatha Christie books, but she was of her time, and wrote clichéd characters = all her women were stay at home middle class  - servants were a bit on the thick side - Americans were all loud and called Hymer etc.  The books didn't make modern Britain, they just reflected the mind set of the people at the time they were written.
John
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I would endorse what the last two posters have written.
I've recently been indulging in a little nostalgia watching series 1 of the 70s TV programme 'Minder'. It's stood the test of time well, but some of it is very non-PC - from the attitude towards ethnic minorities to the quantity of tobacco smoke in the air. But it's only reflecting how society was back then.
One would like to think that history teaches us where we went wrong - but that can't happen if it's airbrushed.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Some people seem determined to find racism wherever they can.

That just about sums up what I think on the matter.
I think those that see racism everywhere they look are the real racists.
Oh for the times of my innocent youth when I used to say to my friend hi blacky and the reply was hi whitey.
They were just statements of fact with no racism implied or intended. It was just the time we lived in.
Nowadays kids can't even play cowboys and indians. No son they're native Americans and you can't have a gun until you grow up.
Racism is used as a blunt instrument by many who should know better. It also ends up paralysing police action and going some way to protecting the wrong people as in the recent Pakistani child abuse cases.