Did you mean: 

Jumping Jack Flash......

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Jumping Jack Flash......

Jumping Jack Flash......

There's no Gas, Gas, Gas !!!

The National Grid has issued a 'gas deficit warning' as fears mount that supplies could run empty.

It issued the warning in response to a series of 'significant supply losses resulting in a forecast end of day supply deficit'.

Household supplies are not expected to be affected but shortages could hit industrial users.

According to the National Grid's forecast, there is a shortfall of around 50 million cubic metres.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5448635/Hundreds-drivers-spend-13-HOURS-trapped-overnight.ht...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-set-run-short-gas-12107673

7 REPLIES
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Jumping Jack Flash......

"Household supplies are not expected to be affected". So that's OK then Thumbs Up

On bottled gas anyway out here in the sticks just for our cooker.  

Maybe it's time that the man himself  ran out of Jumping Jack Flash!

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

How are we going to run out? Does gas stop flowing when its freezing? (serious question)

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@7up

I think it was a case of supply and demand rather than the stuff freezing although having said that, propane (which we use for our cooker) will freeze up apparently if it drops below minus 44°F - which even the Daily Mail with all it's doom, gloom and any coming 'end of time' rapture is not expecting surely! 

'Propane tanks will freeze up when the ambient temperature drops below -44°F. This is because propane has a boiling point of -44°F. If the temperature is not greater than -45°F, your propane will not vaporise, and your tank will freeze.1 Oct 2017'

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
beeceegee
Aspiring Pro

This non-story has prompted a number of ludicrously alarmist headlines, like this one from our local rag, the Mirror-owned Cambridge News:

Cambridgeshire set to run short of gas TODAY as National Grid issues deficit warning

It's a simple supply and demand issue. It is dealt with by a) requesting more gas from suppliers, and b) asking (then telling) major gas users to reduce usage for a few days. In the first instance this means turning the wick down at the Combined Cycle Gas Turbine electricity power stations, to which the National Grid responds by bringing coal-fired power stations back online. Currently coal is producing about 24% of the country's electricity requirement; back in the summer it got as low as 0%

I think it's been posted on these forums before, but this site shows how our electricity is being generated in almost real-time

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Fixes: 226

Maybe another excuse to raise prices just 'so this doesn't happen again'Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Gotta love the daily rags I wouldn't wipe myself with and their scaremongering, all just to make a little profit in selling their papers to the mugs that believe such tripe... Funny

Still waiting for their months of "the worst winter on record" predictions to come true, after all, they can't be wrong every year, can they? Crazy

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Our Gas powered Central Heating conked out a couple of days ago, programmer u/s

Our contract service supplier is offering to cover electricity costs up to £10 a day they can't come, plus £50 to purchase electric heaters if required. They are of course extremely busy at the moment.

They will also cover the costs of third party repairs, if under the same terms.

We are OK, with other methods of heating and hot water, but it must put at ease any people desperately short of money to cover such essentials, such as OAP's and low income families.

A nice gesture .