Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judges BLOCK BREXIT

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Judges BLOCK BREXIT

@wisty wrote:

Sorry 7up we will just have to agree to differ. I think that today the executive branch of government gets to ride roughshod over the collective  will of parliament far too often.

How can you disagree with the fact that had the vote been remain, she would not have done this?

@wisty wrote:

She (the plaintiff) may have had a position - most do, the judges may themselves have personal opinions. But as far as I can see the decision handed down is not about Brexit - its about the key point that the referendum was supposed to be about - the absolute sovereignty of parliament.

But like I said, if the vote had been remain, this would not have happened. It's a stalling tactic but according to you it's all about 'process'. She doesn't give a damn about how it works with parliament, she just doesn't want brexit to happen. You must remember that she felt physically sick at the result of the referendum - not the way the government has moved to enforce it. So why would she challenge the government on its way of enforcing the result?

@wisty wrote:

I don't personally have a firm opinion - as I don't know what Brexit even means beyond that point of the UK having sovereign control of its own laws.

Well you pretty much nailed it. We'll no longer be part of the EU parliamentary control freak.

@wisty wrote:

I personally don't want a small  clique of the Tory party led by an unelected (except by the voters in Maidenhead - who generally voted remain) prime minister making those decisions for the benefit of the city, and the rich funders of that particular political party without the oversight of the wider parliament.

There we have it... it's all about the city. Stuff the little people eh?! As it happens, parliament was under no illusion about what the referendum meant and neither was anyone else in the country. So why should it now be debated? The country made it's voice clear - not the clique you're so worried about.

@wisty wrote:

If this vote had gone the other way would the exiteers and UKIP have quietly folded their tents and acquiesced? We had a referendum in 1977 that equally was not binding. That vote went the other way. Ever since then the right wing of the conservative party has been agitating to leave  - culminating in the recent referendum. If you think the remainers should shut up because the vote went against them, should the conservative exiteers not have shut up in 1977 - they never did. They would not have done so now. So why should the remainers?

Slight problem here though because EU membership (as i understand it) was not the choice of the nation but the clique that you've previously spoken of. I'm personally not phased about the remainers, they're all the minted ones who have the most to lose. Those of us at the bottom with less have stopped caring.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

nozzer wrote: 

Mrs Maybe's

LOL!!!!

(Glad I'm not the only one who thinks she's a bit feeble)

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@artmoSurely you mean "Parliament would have to appeal".A Prime Minister of the UK is not a mugabesque president.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Fixes: 321

@7up wrote:

(Glad I'm not the only one who thinks she's a bit feeble)

Compared to Margaret Thatcher she's a little poodle.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 69.0.3 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Has this judicial process been part of Blair's "Insurgency"? Two of the judges are highly predisposed toward support of the EU. One of them a personal friend of Blair, the others were appointed in his time.

Given their strong bias they should have recused themselves from the case knowing how controversial their intended ruling would be. 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Why, oh why, has everyone become so hot under the collar about this? The decision does NOT block Brexit. All it basically does is legally force the Government to show its hand and state exactly what its plans for Brexit are. It will have to be done very carefully but its not an impossible task. What can be wrong with that?

Yesterday's rag headlines were an appalling bunch of just plain lies. Paul Dacre (editor of the Mail) should be ashamed of what he is allowing to happen, but then again he is a stirrer of the first order. The Express is no better. We aren't yet in a Dictatorship as far as I can tell so the rule of law should and must be applied to this and everything else. It's the least that the citizens of a civilized Sovereign State should expect.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Fair enough up to a point but the law, those that make it, and those that interpret it must be questioned and held to account. These guys are not always right, they are sometimes biased, and we are not all equal before the law.

If only.

It's an understandable knee jerk reaction to three unelected people in all their finery going ruling against the will of the majority. Judges are not sovereign, citizens are.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Like I said, Brexit is NOT blocked. They have not gone against the will of the majority. This does not change the vote to leave the EU, which will be honored.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Just so long as this is not the thin edge of the wedge and jam tomorrow promises..

It worries me as it worries the millions of others that voted for Brexit as here is Wales which voted overwhelmingly to leave the EU, we have First Minister Carwyn Jones putting his anti Brexit pro judicial fourpenny worth in along with my own MP.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@artmo wrote:

Before TM could call an election I think she would have to repeal the Fixed Term Parliament Act. That may not be easy as a lot of MPs are thought to like the idea of 5 year terms.

Not sure about that one artmo, I guess the majority of Labour MP's would love to have an election to get rid of Corbyn add to that the back stabbers in the Tory party who lost their positions in the cabinet and those who support remain might support such a move to delay britexit so I think the majority of MP's would support the necessary change to allow a early election to take place.

Community Veteran

@gleneaglesI wonder if you arer right. A present it seems to be a certainty that if an election was called it would return a Consertative government with an increased majority. Much as the labour MPs would like to get rid of Corbyn I can't see them voting themselves out of a job. Turkeys voting for Christmas maybe :wink:

Community Veteran

I wonder how many staunch lifelong Labour voters in the Northeast of England who voted Leave would vote Tory (to back the Leave side) if Corbyn doesn't strongly advocate leaving. So far he has been distinctly indecisive. Unless I've missed something.

Community Veteran

Long may he remain Labour leader :wink:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@nozzer wrote:

I wonder how many staunch lifelong Labour voters in the Northeast of England who voted Leave would vote Tory (to back the Leave side) if Corbyn doesn't strongly advocate leaving. So far he has been distinctly indecisive. Unless I've missed something.

I doubt you would get many lifelong labour supporters voting tory but it's likely many would not vote at all as they simply do not know what they are voting for as Labour is in such a mess, some might have voted ukip but that's in a even greater mess so voting for no one in a strongly held Labour seat would send a strong message to the Labour party, having said that they are unlikely to take much notice or positive action and some even think the Labour party is finished in it's present form.

Unfortunate because governments do better when there is a good party in opposition.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like the fools who voted for brexit are slowly coming to their senses. The sooner we stop this stupid nonsense and get back to building a successful economy together with Europe the better.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-poll-majority-uk-remain-eu-theresa-may-article-...