cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jpeg .jpg images Copy Protection, waste of time ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Jpeg .jpg images Copy Protection, waste of time ?

JPEG: Joint Photographic Experts Group
As far as I am aware, all metadata is removed when images are posted on Plusnet Forums.
The proposed discussion on Copy Protection seems to be a waste of time, as a simple Screen Grab circumvents any such protection.
A slight loss in quality, but still a copy.

http://www.jpeg.org/items/20150910_privacy_security_summary.html
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/10/theres-no-drm-jpeg-lets-keep-it-way
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Jpeg .jpg images Copy Protection, waste of time ?

Yes, indeedy..... copy protection does seem to be a waste of time.... however.... the owner of the photograph, i.e. the person who pressed the shutter, has legal entity to it... and copyright laws exists to protect the owner`s "investment"...
so.. for example... I have a website with over 1100 of my own photos on it... and they are all copyrighted to me...  IF.. say, a travel firm wanted to lift one of my pics because they thought it was a good representative pic of an area they were promoting... and used that image in their brocure or advertising... they would be liable to pay me copyright compensation, if they had not asked my permission to use it, or negotiated a fee for exclusivity, etc.
The problem is.... UNLESS someone points them to me, I would not know about it... and they "get away with it"... still a very big risk to them though...
I have had several requests via email from various organisations, including the NHS, asking permission to use pics... and I have negotiated with those requestees a fee for that service.
I do have a lot of them with (almost) invisible (C) info across them, which does detract from the pic... but.. it is easy to use photoshop and remove it by cloning nearby areas over the (C) info..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Copyright in the UK for photo's is largely ineffectual unless the owner can demonstrate they are works of art, though products such as Digimarc can embed watermarks to deter abusers.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Infinity
Pro

Have you tried "invisible watermarks ?
Digimarc is quite good, there are of course other methods.
Community Veteran

In order for a creation to be protected by copyright it must fall within one of the following categories of work: literary work, dramatic work, musical work, artistic work, films, sounds recordings, broadcasts, and typographical arrangement of published editions
This is the wording I was trying to remember.  This is the relevant Act: Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988
Community Veteran

Photographs, are . "Artistic work"...  Smiley therefore they are covered by the copyright law...

Quote from: PlusComUK
Have you tried "invisible watermarks ?
Digimarc is quite good, there are of course other methods.

Which,... if invisible, are no deterrent .... and become as useful as visible one`s. on a website.
The thing is... if you don`t want people to copy your pics, don`t put them on the internet.....  Roll eyes
I did have someone re-post a couple of my pics on PINTEREST site... I contacted them ( pinterest  in the usa ) told them they were my pics, and they had better remove them and inform the person concerned, that they would be in court in the USA for breach of copyright, and I mentioned a copyright lawer in San Francisco... within two days they had been removed....
Infinity
Pro

Digimarc lays a visually invisible pattern above your images when they are saved.
This pattern then allows you track how the image is used all over the internet to that you can find copyright infringers and take action.
It doesn't stop copying, but it does establish ownership back to the originator.
We also found the threat of legal action is enough to have the image(s) removed, or a negotiated payment made, as used by our Companies.
Community Veteran

There's quite a lot of case law on this definition of "artistic", to the effect that family point and shoot snapshots are not  artistic in a legal copyright sense, and it varies from country to country. There are some oddities too, if your non-artistic snapshot includes the image of an artistic work with copyright then that part of the images remains the copyright of the original owner. I have a couple of thick tomes on this law, they are guaranteed to cure insomnia.
Community Veteran

one way to partially protect against unauthorised use is to upload a much reduced resolution image so that can't be enlarged much without losing definition.  part of the negotiation can include how much resolution the purchaser gets.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

See Copyright and Public Buildings etc -- http://thecopyrightzone.com/?p=458

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
The problem is.... UNLESS someone points them to me, I would not know about it... and they "get away with it"... still a very big risk to them though...

These days you just drag your images into google images and it'll find any website anywhere thats also using it.
Job done  Wink
Quote from: artificer
one way to partially protect against unauthorised use is to upload a much reduced resolution image

This does it all.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

@7up - tried that with your avatar image.
Google thinks you are using this

Community Veteran

@7up..... Thanks for that info about google images.... works well... only got another 1123 to check ! ! !... will keep me quiet for a few minutes... ! ! ..

Wink