cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journey Times

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Journey Times

When I go out for a "sunday drive"... I plan the route, either in my head, ( I am pretty good on local knowledge for roads within about 100 miles of home), or use Google Maps if I am not exactly sure of the destination point.
Occasionally, I know of certain "hot spots" of traffic congestion, and do my best to avoid them, with the feeling that I would rather be travelling, than sitting in a queue of stationary or very slow moving traffic.
As these occasions are not particularly "time relevant"... the "long way round" is not a problem, and indeed , sometimes can be much more relaxing to drive,... however I was wondering, about the practicality of this, the other day...
example..
Imagine a large square, about 10 miles each side...
bottom left corner, point A .......and bottom right corner, point D..You can fill in the other two...  Roll eyes
Journey starts half way down the left side above point A and proceeds to point D... ( shortest distance)  however, known traffic conditions of stationary traffic for 3 miles with a transit time of 30 mins........
Which way would you go?  ( there is no alternative "local" bypass route for the stationary traffic,.. the only alt route is "the long way round"... )