Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journey Into Space.....

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

Journey Into Space.....

No...not the 1950`s radio series....but  you can watch Elon Musk`s spacecraft tonight...

look South West at about 21:30   and you should see the International Space Station cross over... followed about 20 mins later by Elon Musk`s spacecraft catching it up  !

( from the Daily Mail   https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8360713/SpaceX-rocket-shoot-Britains-skies-9-50pm-TO... )

British astronaut Tim Peake told the Today programme the rocket will be visible if Britons look south-west. 

'If you go outside at 9.50pm you'll actually see it fly over if you look to the south-west!,' he said.

'In fact, if you go out at 9.30pm you'll see the International Space Station fly over and then SpaceX will catch up.'

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Journey Into Space.....

@shutter wrote:

look South West at about 21:30   and you should see the International Space Station cross over... followed about 20 mins later by Elon Musk`s spacecraft catching it up  !

( from the Daily Mail   https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8360713/SpaceX-rocket-shoot-Britains-skies-9-50pm-TO... )

'In fact, if you go out at 9.30pm you'll see the International Space Station fly over 

@shutter 

I'm just wondering if the sky will be dark enough at 21:30 today to see the ISS.  I don't think it will be where I live, and having just checked the app on my phone (Android - 'ISS Detector') that orbit isn't listed as visible.

The app gives the following info for that orbit at my location.

Start     21:19:39

End      21:26:24

Elevation   72°

Magnitude   -2.8

Though with that elevation and brightness I guess it may be visible even if it's not fully dark!

EDIT:  Given the times above, I suspect that if you look for the ISS at 21:30 you'll be lucky not to have missed it!

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Worth looksee.... nothing ventured... nothing gained !  Smiley

@RobPN  Try this one....   https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

put your town name in the search box on the top left of the map..

If your location has a yellow circle... then you need to look for the nearest blue circle. click on that... .. the ISS should be viewable in a 50 mile radius of the blue circle...

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@RobPN   Well, confusion reigns.... I clicked on the link in the blue spot... and it gives this page..

ttps://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=United_Kingdom&region=England&city=Salisbury

according to that page.. ISS will  not be seen here in Portsmouth until  10:57pm  

iss.png

Highlighted
Hero

@shutter wrote:

Worth looksee.... nothing ventured... nothing gained !  Smiley

@RobPN  Try this one....   https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

@shutter 

OK, tried that and the orbit of interest is not listed as visible from my location (probably due to daylight as suspected), but I'll check it out tonight anyway.

For Gosport (nearish to you), the app gives the following info;

Start direction = West(ish)  281°

Start     21:20:18

End      21:27:04

Elevation   83°

Magnitude   -3.1

So  (cloud permitting but I'm not sure of your daylight situation) a higher elevation and brighter viewing for you compared to my location.

But it'll be gone by 21:30 !

Just out of interest I was once viewing the ISS (good brightness and elevation - almost overhead) and I noticed it was being tracked on the exact same orbit, but hundreds or thousands of miles behind, by a much paler UFO.  Turns out it was the occasion when the Soyuz had trouble docking due to hatch problems or something.

Edit:  Your Start Elevation is given as 10° for that orbit.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@RobPN  I`ve got my radio tuned to 145.800Mhz.... so I should be able to hear the ISS before I can see it... !

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

@shutter  Your NASA timings, GMT or BST ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Champnet  Well, if they were working on BST  they are already 1 hour late, according to other sites I have checked !.

and if they were working on GMT they would be another hour later still ! ! ! 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 25

In the West Mids the ISS is coming over from 21:20 for about 6 mins, but my app says it won't be visible - presumably because sunset is 21:14.

Crew Dragon sighting possible perhaps, but at around 21:50 it's only half an hour after sunset.

Next ISS pass after that will be 22:57 for about 5 mins, so maybe Musk's craft will be somewhere near it by then.

https://www.meteorwatch.org/crew-dragon-watch-the-launch-then-see-it-fly-over-uk/

There’s no plaice like Ω
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

We’re in the east and our local rag states :

Approximately 15-20 minutes after launchtime (around 9.45pm) the rocket is set to be visible from the UK, passing over from west to east.

The moving rocket should look like a bright star moving across the southern part of sky and may be visible for three to four minutes, providing the skies are clear.

So in Portsmouth at 10:57pm you’re not going to see much....

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Seems the docking takes place on Thursday, not too certain where the ISS orbit is by then. The ISS live App only shows the present orbit.

Still you can all pilot the ISS docking yourselves from the comfort of your arm chairs.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Hero

@198kHz wrote:

In the West Mids the ISS is coming over from 21:20 for about 6 mins, but my app says it won't be visible - presumably because sunset is 21:14.

I just checked, and, as would be expected for a more westerly location, there's even less time between sunset and ISS appearance here, sunset 21:18 - ISS due 21:19

Crew Dragon sighting possible perhaps, but at around 21:50 it's only half an hour after sunset.

I'm just wondering if the track of the Crew Dragon across the sky will appear to be the same as that of the ISS on this orbit, or whether it will be apparently different, given how the ISS tracks across the sky can vary wildly between two consecutive orbits.

Highlighted
Hero

@RobPN wrote:

I'm just wondering if the track of the Crew Dragon across the sky will appear to be the same as that of the ISS on this orbit, or whether it will be apparently different, given how the ISS tracks across the sky can vary wildly between two consecutive orbits.

In answer to my own question, I just compared the tracks of the ISS and Crew Dragon respectively on my phone app and the info given at the link provided by @198kHz in post #9 and it seems they will take different tracks across the sky.

Whilst it seems they will both appear at roughly the same point in the sky, the ISS will track roughly W-E slightly north of my location (about 18° from the vertical at its 'highest' point).

The CD will track roughly W-E south of my location (about 30° from the vertical at its 'highest' point).

They'll 'disappear' at different points, not that I'm likely to see them given the expected light levels.

Just thought that might be useful for anyone who does manage to see them.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Cancelled launch. That was disappointing ☹️

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Too far North and still too light to see the ISS. And Saturday it will be far too bright to see anything of SpaceX after its launched. Although might see both later on from around 22.10pm for a few minutes - 6minutes for the ISS. 😁 Seen it in the depths of winter directly overhead and that ISS is bright.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?