cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining the queue.

Pro

Re: Joining the queue.

When the vaccine is generally available the issue will be the restriction placed on you if you do not have it! Considering at the moment we are not even allowed to cross the border from England to Wales restrictions could become quite severe.  My criteria would start with vaccinating people at 45 to get them nack to work and apply the vaccine to upper ages later. Most of the over 60s are able to semi-isolate themselves at home anyway.

As for innoculating very old people in care homes one wonders what the benefit here is. My mother in law is all but brain dead in a care home and would probably survive the virus by being unaware that she had it! The only potential loser is the care home who would lose £90k a year income!!

Another issue is what does it take in terms of vaccination for the NHS to start saving the taxpayer and not themselves. I read in the paper you can get anything you like fixed privately but it will cost around £10k a go.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

@TeeGee 

If you look at the figures for deaths caused by COVID-19 by age group there is a massive reduction as you go down the age groups hence the government are taking the sensible approach and giving the vaccine to those most at risk of death which is in the higher age groups along with those who need to care for patients in hospitals or residents in homes.

Whilst I am sure you did not mean it to come across this way it almost sounds like the elderly in care homes are not that important so hardly matters if they die or not.

Whilst the death of such people would mean the care homes would lose £90 K or whatever the figure is the relatives would be saving that amount unless funding was provided by the council.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If, and I know it's a big if, they start vaccinating people soon after Christmas I wouldn't be surprised to find myself near the front of the queue. My logic is that all the hospital staff are going to be first, so it stands to reason that incoming patients will also get vaccinated.

I have a follow up op in January and I'd rather have an injection any day rather than a nurse come at me for the third time with her ten foot swizzle stick. Well it's a good enough reason as any for wanting the covid vaccination.

But I think we are in for a much longer wait so it's probably the swizzle stick for me.

Hero
Fixes: 5

I read somewhere in the past couple of days that due to a foreseen shortage of xmas turkeys because not enough migrant workers were available to process them, that the quarantine restrictions upon entry to the UK for said workers was being relaxed (there was some convoluted explanation that they could start work immediately and 'isolate' on the job Roll_eyes).

Therefore I hope my turkey is somewhere near the front of the covid-vaccination queue.  Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

@TeeGee wrote:

Most of the over 60s are able to semi-isolate themselves at home anyway.

As for innoculating very old people in care homes one wonders what the benefit here is. My mother in law is all but brain dead in a care home and would probably survive the virus by being unaware that she had it! The only potential loser is the care home who would lose £90k a year income!!

Obviously, you are one of the "younger" generation, who feels that the "old people" AKA  people in care homes and over 60 are a burden to their families, and the sooner they die of anything, (what a blessing COVID19 is to you)....  the better.

Many families take care of their older relatives, at home, and "self isolating" is not a good way to live, especially if your family does not care about you, or for you, in your own home. 

We, my wife and I, have been "self isolating " since MAY... we have not been out "In the big wide world" of shops or cafe`s or pubs or restaurants since MAY.. it is taking a toll on us both, mentally. We do go out in the car every other day, or so, for a drive around in the country, just to break the monotony of being indoors all the time.  ( we do not get out of the car at all, until our return home)..

Not an ideal situation, but I think that we are most fortunate to be able to do this, unlike those poor people in care homes, that you seem to have little or no care or respect for.

Self isolation, when you are old, is very difficult to cope with, no visitors, no new "gossip" nothing to do all day, except watch repeats of repeats of repeats on the telly ... I`m fortunate that I can do other stuff that care home residents are not able to do, which keeps my mind active, and some low level of hope that life will improve. My wife, on the other hand, is partially disabled, and needs my care, so she has little to occupy herself or her  mind, apart from the aforementioned telly programmes.

Some people actually like their mother-in-law,... even if they are "brain dead"....

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Very similar situation and opinion to your own @shutter 

The less said here about the way we view the elderly in care homes the better, at least for the moment.

We take the car and ourselves out for a run every few days just to stop us all seizing up along with putting a bit more life into our batteries. The only real change for the Mrs and m'self (and I've said this before) is that we don't see the grandchildren as often as we'd like to and when there is any shopping to do, I just stay in extended isolation in the car and the Mrs goes off her trolley... sorry, goes off with her trolley. People watching in supermarket car parks really can be quite quite entertaining y'know.

It's a brisk bright day here this morning so a little run out to our nearest clear and uncluttered beach is only about ten miles so that's the plan for a little later.

Highlight for t'morrow? Putting the rubbish out. 

Can't wait. 🙂

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Hero
Fixes: 9

From what's been announced so far the 'order of vaccination' will be care home 'residents' and staff plus hospital staff, then the over-80s followed by the 75 to 79 age group and so on in five-year bands down to whatever is considered the dividing line between those who are at significant risk of death and those who are highly likely to survive without needing hospitalisation.  Some people might decide not to get vaccinated but I wonder whether employers will make it a condition of employment, especially in companies whose work force spans the entire adult age range, or where employees have face-to-face contact with elderly customers.

Pro

@gleneagles wrote:

@TeeGee 

Whilst I am sure you did not mean it to come across this way it almost sounds like the elderly in care homes are not that important so hardly matters if they die or not.

Whilst the death of such people would mean the care homes would lose £90 K or whatever the figure is the relatives would be saving that amount unless funding was provided by the council.

Care homes are not the fun places the government and the providers would like you to think they are. In reality they are often the last stop before the Pearly Gates and many residents have no idea where they are. A national crisis or a national scandal? The problems cannot be solved by emotion.

The funding source for many self payers is often a pension backed up with a care needs annuity (paid out of capital at the time). These die with the recipient with no additional benefit to relatives. There is a big industry out there taking distress money off old people, just look at the adverts for equity release...........

Pro

@shutter 

You are clearly one of those people quick to criticise based on your own experiences with little knowledge of what a severe brain haemhorrage can do that is not fatal. The reality is not pleasant for anyone. I take is as a compliment that you are so far out in assessing my age.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

@TeeGee 

I was not criticising anything,... except your point of view that "old people"  are not worth the trouble of vaccination, as they can easily stay at home, or die, so long as the under 45s get the vaccine first...

In your own words..........

My criteria would start with vaccinating people at 45 to get them nack to work and apply the vaccine to upper ages later. Most of the over 60s are able to semi-isolate themselves at home anyway.

As for inoculating very old people in care homes one wonders what the benefit here is.

(Corrected your spelling mistake in the above line....)

Need I say more  ? ? ?

Aspiring Legend

One of the uncomfortable truths about care homes is that those 'in residence' do not get visits from family as often as we think they do. Some do of course, but I'll bet you a pound to a penny most do not, but let Covid rear it's ugly head and all of a sudden great grannie needs to be seen at least once a week.

Am I wrong?

And those Christmas dinners that advertisers like to show and which we somehow led to believe are real with those huge tables surrounded by extended families. Half the houses these days are not big enough let alone the average dining table but no and again because Covid, all of sudden we are led to believe that the world and his wife demand an end to lockdown for the Christmas period so that we can all meet up in a way that few of us ever did before.

Life gets in the way and I never visited my old dad as often that I should have and we've done the huge family dinners Christmas malarkey and quite honestly they have been a nightmare. 

The best ones ever were with our own immediate family and the best ones now are just m'self and the Mrs happy with the thought that our now grown up children are spending Christmas surrounded by theirs. 

Aspiring Legend

@TeeGee 

@shutter 

Stuck in the middle here as most of the over 60s are able to semi-isolate themselves at home. We are well into that category and with no kids to take to school or jobs to go to semi isolation is not a problem. We've kept safe so far and are both happy enough to wait until any suitable vaccine becomes available. 

As for care home residents, well both they and the staff are at high risk. The elderly because their immune system is poor and they are confined in space that has Gods knows who coming and going from outside, and the staff because of the nature of their work.

If hospitals are disease palaces, then care homes are disease mansions.  

Pro

@shutter wrote:

Need I say more  ? ? ?

I am sure you would like to but in the meantime thanks for thew spellcheck. I hope one day the NHS will get round to fixing my eyesight.

I stand by my criteria as it is all about prioritising the allocation of limited resources. Lives versus livlihoods.  We will just have to disagree there.

Aspiring Legend

I think 'spell check' is actually two words. 

Feel free to shoot me. 😋

Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

I think 'spell check' is actually two words. 

Feel free to shoot me. 😋

Wake up man! You only spotted one deliberate mistake    😁