Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining the collective.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Joining the collective.

The kids bought my Mrs one of those Fitbit watches for her birthday a couple of weeks ago, so now she's managed I don't know how to link it to her posh smart phone and a pair of blue tooth headphones. 

She is now Borg and joined the collective, as kitted out off she goes for her daily jog. All credit to her but am I one of the few people not permanently connected to the hive that is now the internet?

Seems to me that many have now made the leap towards becoming man and machine with no hope of a disconnect and sure I have a mobile phone as well, but it's second hand and left in the car for that 'just in case' emergency.

As for her daily jog, she's been gone a week and could be anywhere by now. 

My two year old £5 analogue Casio stopped working a couple of days ago. Thought about replacing the battery but decided it was probably cheaper and almost quicker to just buy another one from Amazon. It arrived the next day.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
23 REPLIES 23
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Joining the collective.

Get where you are coming from, @Minivanman . I have a second-hand 7y.o. 'smart' phone, with mobile data permanently 'off', but I admit I have a current iPad Mini - merely because it is extremely useful when I am out and about under normal circumstances - if I'm in an unfamiliar area, it saves me getting too lost, but most of the 'extra' must have apps are off and hidden away on the third 'page' - which I never visit.

John
Leapy
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman You will be assimilated  😊 I have the shirt Thumbs_Up Borg shirt.jpg

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

Resistance is futile... 😎

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Minivanman  I think you and I, are about the same vintage.. ( three score year, and ten+)  so I am assuming that your missus is in the same sort of age area...

If she ever comes back from her morning jog... ( hee hee ) .. perhaps she might be interested to know how come you and I have lived this long, without the need to go "jogging" every morning...  and why the hell she thinks she needs to ? ? ?  at this stage of life....

Crazy wimmin...

P.S.  My brother in law, was ex-army mechanic... working on their big trucks, when he left the army he got a job with a main dealer servicing ford trucks...  he used to cycle to work 5 miles and home 5 miles and then go for a "country mile" as he called it, bike ride of a further 10 or so miles, before having his supper... 

Why did he... a fit young guy of 64 , then, die of a heart attack whilst riding off to work one morning.. ? ? ? 

keeping fit is not what it is made out to be... 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

We are about the same age although Mr Minivanman is eight years younger and has only recently gone from doing our daily walks when we can to going jogging on her own and partly I suspect to stop herself going round the twist because of the recent lockdowns. The main thing is not to over exert herself and she's usually back home within the hour. My only real worry for her is the traffic on the road which although not that busy around here there is always the odd boy racer so I always make sure she wears one of those high visability vest things. 

Got to keep safe at our age, after all we've made it this far. 🙂

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

@shutter wrote:

Why did he... a fit young guy of 64 , then, die of a heart attack whilst riding off to work one morning.. ? ? ? 

Probably saw the price of butter...

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

... to link it to her posh smart phone and a pair of blue tooth headphones. 

... as kitted out off she goes for her daily jog.

Depending on where the jog takes her, headphones would be my main concern.

How many times do you see walkers and joggers wearing them almost bump into other people or step into the road?

Also those headphone wearers are more vulnerable to an unheard attacker taking them by surprise.

And don't get me started on car drivers who wear them!

I think I'll stay safe and not wear them jog. Cheesy

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

I guess some older people set targets when trying to keep fit....pushing themselves to keep improving...hardly worth it at our age.

Get on some fairly long walks myself but no target setting, go at a comfortable pace and stop to take in the scenery or a few photographs, I enjoy doing it and go when I feel like it....sunny days only, 

Far better to stop eating junk food and just chilling out rather than pushing yourself at this age is the best advice...

You haven’t much time left.....

Use it wisely.

😀

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@twocvbloke wrote:

@shutter wrote:

Probably saw the price of butter...

Not funny...... Angry

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@RobPN 

Fair point, but I doubt she has them blasting away, she always runs towards oncoming traffic if on the road, she always wears a high visability vest and last but not least, I am pretty sure that cars do not have the right of way over pedestrians - even if they are running in the middle of the road!

So she can see cars coming, cars should at least see her, but yes, some runners do seem lost in a world of their own!

Lets all be careful out there eh.  😃

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Many of the people I see walking / running with earphones are wearing them because............

a. They don't want to talk to anyone. The straight ahead stare gives them away.

b. They don't want people to think they're crazy while they talk to themselves.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I used to cycle to college each day on a ten mile round trip with my lug holes plugged into a Classic FM. No ulterior motive, just happy to listen to music and the chat. 

Why should jogging be any different, or any different to car, train, bus or flying?

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I suppose it's a question of degree. Earphones often shut out all other noise while a car radio doesn't.

Unless it's one of those "boom box" cars.

Leapy
Aspiring Champion

I used to do a daily 16-mile round trip  from home to work  and back, in central London on my bike.

I had nothing in my ears, but the whizzing sounds of traffic,  for fear of bing articulated.