cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Johnny Dankworth Dies

Community Veteran

Johnny Dankworth Dies

Johnny Dankworth the legendary jazzman has died aged 82.  Saw him many years ago when I belonged to a jazz club.  Great performer and a great double act with his wife Cleo Laine.
Johnny Dankworth
Dankworth
4 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Johnny Dankworth Dies

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8502621.stm
His wife, the singer Dame Cleo Laine, announced his death at a concert at their theatre in Buckinghamshire.
The concert was celebrating 40 years of the theatre, which the couple founded in the grounds of their home in Wavendon.
nadger
Rising Star

A great loss Cry
First saw him, and Cleo, at a dance at Corn Exchange, Colchester when I was stationed there ( 1954-55) and don't live too far from The Stables so have been there.
A true jazz legend  Cry
Community Veteran

He was an Essex lad.  Born in Woodford and lived for a time in Walthamstow.  He played a number of dates at the Bexley Jazz Club when I lived in Kent.  Many of our jazz greats played there in their early days.
N/A

Jazz is most definitely not my thing, but I appreciate that he and his wife have been music legends.
I have a sense that if they had never got paid for it, they would still make music because it was such an integral part of their being.  According to the news this morning they used their own theatre to raise money for charity - what a wonderful thing to do.
A real inspiration and a fine example of a life well lived.