cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

John Hurt dies

Fixes: 123

John Hurt dies

John Hurt dies aged 77

Sir John Hurt, the two-time Oscar nominated star of the Elephant Man, has died at the age of 77, his agent confirmed. 

The English actor was born in Derbyshire and became a critical and commercial success in films like Midnight Express, Alien and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Hurt bounced back from pancreatic cancer in October 2015 and signed on to appear in a West End production of The Entertainer, only to pull out on the advice of his doctors after he was taken to the hospital with an intestinal complaint.

I wasn't a fan of The Elephant man, although a good film, but Midnight Express was excellent.

He was also great as the War Doctor in the Dr Who 50th Anniversary Episode.

RIP

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

4 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: John Hurt dies

So sad to hear this, the man was an actor of the first class. Memorable in The Naked Civil Servant - a very brave role for the time, I Claudius, and of course his grisly demise in Alien! 

Who next I wonder?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Very sad news, he was one of the best actors of his generation.

I liked most of the stuff he was in.

RIP

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Ah that's so sad to hear! 

Like you guy's I really like John as an actor. I saw him in the 'Naked Civil Servant' - 'Alien' (still one of my favourites), 'Midnight Express' (another favourite) and 'Elephant Man'.

Anyone who saw Alien I would also recommend the interview with John about his role in that film, it can be found on one of the Alien box set DVD's. According to John the other cast members had no idea what was about to happen in the chest burster scene, the look of shock and horror on their faces was actually real and not scripted.

R.I.P John, you will be missed but not forgotten and your memory will live on in the great films you starred in. 

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Well said Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.