cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs in London

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Jobs in London

Why is it that the majority of work is concentrated in London and the surrounding areas ?
By cramming more people into the same place just increases the price of property, cost of living, transport problems, more stress, crime etc, etc.
With modern technology there is no reason why more firms cannot move out of London and in to areas where there is high unemployment.
The BBC appear to be moving some staff to Manchester but many are reluctant to go for various reasons even though the cost of moving will be covered by the BBC.
Has anyone else any thoughts on this topic ?
5 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Jobs in London

Perhaps they dont like the Car crime in Mancunia
Community Veteran

I think a large number of companies are moving out of London because it is financially viable for them to do so.  Maybe there should be more incentives to encourage this trend.  Many companies do not have to be in London as they are able to communicate with their customers/suppliers by phone, email, video conferencing etc.
On the issue of the BBC move there are concerns about the effect it will have on their programme output.  Programmes that rely on live guests are worried that these guests would not be willing to travel to Manchester for an interview.
johpal
Grafter

There are some jobs that can't be moved (hospitals and schools, for instance). I worked for 10 years in central London. Although it provided me with a wealth of experience, the cost of living (compared to the level of income) finally drove me out.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It's not just London either. Surrounding areas are affected property wise by 'commuters' who still choose to support the London city of business and then commute in and out of work driving up prices for the rest of us. Quite a few of them are rather arrogant too. In my former job I had to deal with London commuters on a daily basis and the sheer attitude of many of them was sickening. They treat you like something they just trod in. If they don't get their way all the toys get thrown out of the pram too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

That may be down to the pressure they are under. (That does not excuse their behaviour)
How people spend hours travelling to and from work in over crowed trains or jammed motorways is beyond me. I guess once you are on the treadmill then you have no choice because you need the money, it is only a matter of time before something gives, perhaps your marriage or addiction to alcohol or drugs etc.