cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job seeking, schools could try harder

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Job seeking, schools could try harder

One of the local lads who volunteers to help clear the brush in the overgrown field I call my orchard has this summer left school after his A-Levels. At a social event his mother mentioned to me he'd failed at a job interview at the first hurdle, i.e. the psychometric questionnaire. I asked the young man if he'd like to go through a mock job interview to get some practice. Sure enough he was keen to give it a go.  So I borrowed an office from a mate of mine and put the lad through the process.

I was pretty shocked to discover he'd received zero training from his school in how to handle job interviews. Maybe they'd assumed all their pupils would go straight to university, but I'd have thought this should be standard training for school leavers. It's all too easy to lose a good job opportunity by fluffing the interview or having a poor CV.

My views on psychometric tests cannot be printed!

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
5 REPLIES
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Job seeking, schools could try harder

AlaricAdair wrote:

My views on psychometric tests cannot be printed!

Interviews are horseshit too though...

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

I remember my last year at school, (and that was some years ago). We had mock interviews, also potential employers coming in for a day to speak on what they were looking for and what an employee should be looking for, even giving mock written tests for some specific jobs. 

Why schools don't do this now is bonkers

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

DaveyH wrote:

Interviews are horseshit too though...

True enough, but I learned at an early age the "right" answers to questions and the "right" things to say.

Using bull to pass the bull is it seems the only way to go.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Unless you have a relative on the board or knows someone on the board in which case the interview is a formality.

Oddest interview I ever went to was the personell or human resources mixed up the application forms and several people including myself were interviewed for a job we did not want, having thought some of the questions were odd, the next question was why do you want this job.....'Well no I don't want this job why am I being interviewed for it ?

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Some of you may remember this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Y2uQn_wvc

Perhaps the current fashion of addressing everyone by their first name isn't always such a good idea.