Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job losses.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Job losses.

Usually sad to hear of anyone losing their job but according to a article in today's Telegraph Hall has admitted that hundreds of news jobs at the BBC are to go adding that interviews with politicians have been too political and aimed at catching them out.

My views of BBC political bias and in particular cover of the B subject are well known.

So not that sad these jobs are going

We are born into history and history is born into us.
22 REPLIES 22
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Job losses.

Could be "cutting costs" before the licence fee is cancelled.... 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,176

think that's a bit mean @gleneagles - it won't be the people who dictate direction but more likely the subordinates who are just trying to make a living and feed their families like the rest of us.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

The BBC Red Button text service (which includes some news) is already about to close.

I don't know about others but I'll miss it as a convenient way of getting brief news accounts at the same time as watching BBC TV (normally when I have the news or parliament channels on).  Also handy for people to get sports results etc.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,176

The idiots that came up with BBC Sounds as an app concept should go. Woeful.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

@gleneagles wrote:

interviews with politicians have been too political and aimed at catching them out.

Isn't that what the public expect reporters to do ?

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

@Champnet Exactly!😁

John
Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

I've never used the Sound App but while on the subject of apps, I subscribe to BritBox on my Apple TV and the app provided is an other woeful bit of software. I can't see a way to skip an episode, it doesn't rewind or ff for me at least. And it sometimes 'forgets' what you were watching. 

It maybe that it's becuase it's on an Apple TV and being contolled using a Harmony Remote I honestly don't know.

RobPN
Hero

@RobPN wrote:

The BBC Red Button text service (which includes some news) is already about to close.

Meanwhile back at the ranch ...

BBC suspends Red Button text switch-off

gleneagles
Community Veteran

I think John Humphries who worked for the BBC for many years had a lot to say about the BBC when he left.

The celebrations planned in the office fell flat once they realised the result of the referendum 

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@dvorak wrote:
The idiots that came up with BBC Sounds as an app concept should go. Woeful.

Now that's a bit mean !
😀

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@RobPN, I can't get the link in your post to work, but I found the the story on the BBC website.  I don't quite understand why the National Federation of the Blind of the UK should be the ones to object.

Like you, I find the text service convenient for catching up with the news before going to work in the morning.  No waffle or lengthy interviews with 'experts', just the bare bones of the issues, although it sometimes looks like the stories were written by a work experience pupil, or someone for whom English is not the first language.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

If the BBC wants to save some serious money it should start by switching off it's broadcasts to the entire world like the world radio service it operates. Come on, it must be costing a fortune. We licence payers pay our licence for OUR TV - not to broadcast other things to the entire planet. The BBC has deliberately gone above and beyond it's remit while bullying money out of people to pay for it. This is completely wrong and must stop.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Perhaps the Parliament channel should be broadcast to the entire world (the universe?); it might cut immigration to zero and make aliens look elsewhere for a suitable landing site!

RobPN
Hero

@Jonpe wrote:

@RobPN, I can't get the link in your post to work,

@Jonpe 

Ooops ...  Embarrassed

Seems I pasted the wrong info into the 'link'.

Apologies and thanks for letting me know.  Thumbs_Up