cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job interview questions, what were yours?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Job interview questions, what were yours?

When applying for the post of area field service engineer, I was asked if I was a hedonist.  "Really?" I replied, "what has that got to do with the job in question". The interviewer could not answer than one. 

PS. I got the job. Smiley

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-40005667/outrageous-job-interview-questions

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Job interview questions, what were yours?

I once had a guy who come to me for a job interview.  My penultimate question to him was: "If you have a colleague who's always spouting BS, how would you react?"

He wasn't offered a job.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I honestly can't remember what I was asked at any of the job interviews I had (about 44 years ago), but I'm fairly certain they were about my abilities and what I wanted from the job - none of this attempting to ask totally useless questions to make the interviewer look good. Only had 2 before I got my job - and I never had another, although I had many different roles.

John
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 212

I remember being asked which celebrity I'd go on a date with, if I could.

Obviously Sean Bean.

And here I am today.

(Thinking back, this was actually just part of the ice breaker)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 47

After the usual name, address and qualifications I was asked at one job interview, if I saw two intoxicated men threatening each other in the street would I intervene or walk by on the other side.

Then the questions became weird.

The job was welding the ends of pairs of wires together in the process of making thermocouples.

Thankfully I didn't get the job.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

When applying as a GPO apprentice, one of the first questions was "what are the colours in this cable?"

If you were colour-blind - out the door!

Not young enough to know everything
Minivanman
Hero

@198kHz

Funny you should say that because after doing my three year C&G RTEB we had to do and extra 'colour endorsement' year having only covered the fundamentals of black and white televisions. At the end of course and just as aside one of the guys did a test for colour blindness.... and failed! How the heck he had got so far without being able to recognise those resistor colour codes is a complete mystery and I can only assume he sort of saw grass as red for example but called it green because obviously that's what it was.

He must have eaten a lot of raw strawberries and no, he was not awarded that final endorsement but did go on to be a very good workshop engineer, 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Interviewer. "Imagine you are miles away from civilization in a desert with little water, hardly any food, no form of communication, alone with a broken down vehicle - What would you do?"

I replied "Get out a pack of cards and start playing patience"

Interviewer. "Seems not a very constructive answer, is that all"

I replied "You've never played patience? how many times does somebody come and look over your shoulder and say 'put that red ten on that black jack"